Sep 5, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
Liverpool manager Steven Gerrard…
Don’t be shocked if five to ten years from now that’s a ubiquitous phrase in the Premier League world. On Thursday, it emerged that Gerrard is set to undertake his coaching qualifications over the course of the next year with the dream of one day becoming Liverpool manager.
It’s an aspiration that few would doubt the Reds captain capable of achieving.
“The dream come true would be to manage Liverpool, when the Liverpool job becomes available,” Gerrard told Twenty-Four 7 Football magazine.
Ever the professional, Gerrard was quick to note that such a position would only come his way after the current crop of managers moved on. “There are world-class managers there ready already, but we’ll have to wait and see, it would be the icing on the cake.”
At the age of 33, Gerrard noted that despite the considerable miles left in his boots, he needed to be conscious of his his future. “When you get to a certain age, my age, you need to start thinking seriously about a life after football. I am planning on doing my badges and qualifications over the next 12 months.”
For most players, a life of managing or punditry is the favored path after hanging up the boots. For Gerrard, the current hope is to manage but like a former teammate of his, that could change over time. “I remember speaking to Jamie Carragher and he really fancied it but he’s decided media is what he wants to do.”
Gerrard’s desire to manage the club where he’s been a life-long player mirrors that of Ryan Giggs, who’s dream of managing Manchester United recently saw him become the first player to complete his UEFA Pro License during his playing days.
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3