Sep 6, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Ghanians booked their ticket into the knockout round of Africa’s World Cup qualifying with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Zambia.
Young Spartak Moscow striker Abdul Waris headed in the opener for Ghana in the 17th minute on a volleyed cross from John Boye.
The winner came from Juventus midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah (pictured, playing with Juventus) after 60 minutes when the 24-year-old decided to blast a shot from ridiculously long range, finding the bottom right corner.
Zambia, the winners of the 2012 African Nations Cup, grabbed a consolation in the 77th minute via Nathan Sinkala, but they could not overcome the Black Stars who have secured the Group D and now have a chance to make their third straight World Cup.
In the African format, ten groups of four make up the tables, and each group winner advances to a knockout match for five spots. Also already through are Bob Bradley’s Egypt, Algeria and Ivory Coast.
Most of the final round of games are set to be played tomorrow. Ethiopia and Congo would go through with wins. The winners of Senegal vs. Uganda, Nigeria vs. Malawi, and Tunisia vs. Cape Verde Islands all go through as well.
Here are the goals from Ghana’s win:
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad