Sep 6, 2013, 6:16 PM EDT
The Ghanians booked their ticket into the knockout round of Africa’s World Cup qualifying with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Zambia.
Young Spartak Moscow striker Abdul Waris headed in the opener for Ghana in the 17th minute on a volleyed cross from John Boye.
The winner came from Juventus midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah (pictured, playing with Juventus) after 60 minutes when the 24-year-old decided to blast a shot from ridiculously long range, finding the bottom right corner.
Zambia, the winners of the 2012 African Nations Cup, grabbed a consolation in the 77th minute via Nathan Sinkala, but they could not overcome the Black Stars who have secured the Group D and now have a chance to make their third straight World Cup.
In the African format, ten groups of four make up the tables, and each group winner advances to a knockout match for five spots. Also already through are Bob Bradley’s Egypt, Algeria and Ivory Coast.
Most of the final round of games are set to be played tomorrow. Ethiopia and Congo would go through with wins. The winners of Senegal vs. Uganda, Nigeria vs. Malawi, and Tunisia vs. Cape Verde Islands all go through as well.
Here are the goals from Ghana’s win:
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win