Sep 6, 2013, 6:16 PM EST
The Ghanians booked their ticket into the knockout round of Africa’s World Cup qualifying with a hard-fought 2-1 win over Zambia.
Young Spartak Moscow striker Abdul Waris headed in the opener for Ghana in the 17th minute on a volleyed cross from John Boye.
The winner came from Juventus midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah (pictured, playing with Juventus) after 60 minutes when the 24-year-old decided to blast a shot from ridiculously long range, finding the bottom right corner.
Zambia, the winners of the 2012 African Nations Cup, grabbed a consolation in the 77th minute via Nathan Sinkala, but they could not overcome the Black Stars who have secured the Group D and now have a chance to make their third straight World Cup.
In the African format, ten groups of four make up the tables, and each group winner advances to a knockout match for five spots. Also already through are Bob Bradley’s Egypt, Algeria and Ivory Coast.
Most of the final round of games are set to be played tomorrow. Ethiopia and Congo would go through with wins. The winners of Senegal vs. Uganda, Nigeria vs. Malawi, and Tunisia vs. Cape Verde Islands all go through as well.
Here are the goals from Ghana’s win:
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record