Sep 6, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
Coming into play today, Group C was without a doubt the craziest group in Europe’s World Cup qualifying.
That didn’t change after today’s matches, but Sweden took the bull by the horns and put two teams in their dust.
Coming into play, Germany were on top by three points, but three teams below them (Sweden, Austria, Ireland) were all knotted up at 11 each, vying for that second place spot.
The top team in each group automatically qualifies, while the second place team is sent to a playoff match to get in.
Sweden defeated the Irish 2-1, despite a goal from LA Galaxy star Robbie Keane, meaning the Swedes have planted themselves into second place with a three point cushion.
Norwich City’s Johan Elmander drew level for Sweden in the 33rd minute, and Anders Svensson (pictured) gave the away side the lead after the halftime break.
The Germans also took care of Austria 3-0 to remain in control of the top spot, and leave the Austrians to regroup as they look to fight from behind. Striker Miroslav Klose scored the first goal, which drew him level with Gerd Müller atop the German all-time goalscoring list with 68 international scores. Defender Philipp Lahm also found a milestone, picking up his 100th cap for Germany.
The group now looks as follows:
Germany – 19
Sweden – 14
Austria – 11Ireland – 11
Kazakhstan – 4
Faroe Islands – 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"