Sep 7, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Group E was perhaps the most intriguing of today’s matchups in Africa World Cup qualifying. It was already a busy day on the continent, what with Ethiopia having to stage a comeback to eliminate South Africa’s chances, and Nigeria easily dispensing with ten-man Malawi.
Going into Saturday’s matches, the teams were snuggled nice and close. Sure, Niger was already out of the running. And Gabon would’ve had to pull off a pretty spectacular win over Burkina Faso to overtake Congo at the top. But the point was that it could happen. That’s what these runs to the World Cup are about, right? Hope.
And for once, hope did not disappoint. Burkina Faso, sitting one point back from Congo, needed a victory combined with Niger drawing or beating Congo. Niger, with nothing to play for, still gave it their all. The Ménas took the lead after just 34 minutes and, although Niger came back twice to even the scoreline, managed to hang on for the 2-2 draw.
With that result, Burkina Faso still needed a win — and Gabon didn’t make it very easy on them. But the Stallions scored shortly after the second half started, via a goal from Prejuce Nakoulma. Turned out that one goal was all they needed to record the 1-0 win, put 12 points on the board next to Congo’s 11, and progress through to the next round.
Keep tuning in to CAF qualifying. Later tonight, Tunisia and Cape Verde, separated by two points, meet to determine the winner of Group B. Then Senegal and Uganda face off to see who goes through from Group J.
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 0
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes