Sep 7, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
- The New York Red Bulls, currently tied for first place in the Eastern Conference, have never won away at Houston in league play.
- The Houston Dynamo are even on points with the New England Revolution, but with the Revs having scored more goals, Houston have now slipped down to sixth place and out of the playoff positions.
- Houston will have to fare without Boniek García (Honduras) and Jermaine Taylor (Jamaica), both whom are likely pleased with their teams’ performances in the Hex on Friday evening. New York, meanwhile, miss Tim Cahill, injured in last week’s match, and Ibrahim Sekagya, who is suspended.
The Houston Dynamo are probably just happy to be coming home, hosting the New York Red Bulls on Sunday at 5 p.m. Houston haven’t had much fun on their three game road trip, starting off with a humiliating 5-0 loss to leaders Montreal Impact. After that beating, the Dynamo must’ve felt rather good about their 1-1 tie with the Chicago Fire, but Wednesday’s 2-0 loss to the Columbus Crew likely sunk their spirits even further. That’s just one point (and one goal) from three games, pulling the Dynamo down to sixth place in the East and out of the playoff spots.
New York, too, have faded a bit. The Red Bulls picked up just one point from their last three matches prior to beating D.C. United 2-1 last weekend. Now NYRB are in a three way tie for the top of the Eastern Conference. Like New York, Sporting Kansas City has 42 points from 27 games, but Montreal has an advantage, also with 42 points but with two less games played.
However, the Red Bulls pulled out an impressive performance last Saturday. New York took an early lead through an 8th minute goal by Lloyd Sam, handed his first start since late June. United then equalized in the 36th minute, but the home side gave them little time to celebrate, with Tim Cahill putting his side back on top two minutes later. Then, in the 72nd minute, Ibrahim Sekagya was shown the red card for obstruction, but Luis Robles managed to save the penalty. Despite being down a man, New York hung on for the next twenty minutes and came away with all three points.
What they’re saying
Red Bulls coach Mike Petke on the win over D.C. United: “It was a gritty, gutsy performance and we had some quality mixed in there for a lot of the game. When we went down a man, it was difficult on these guys but a gutsy performance. They really put everything they had out there.”
A point for each. New York have yet to win on the road this season, but Houston seem to be slipping further and further into a slump. Still, if you’re demanding to know which side has a slight edge, tip your hat to the Dynamo. But put no money on it — that’s a gut feeling only, nothing more. Maybe it’s the gut acknowledging that Houston have never lost at home to the Red Bulls?
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps, three Columbus Crew take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Ankle sprain is “a very rare and unique injury, and we are trying to treat it as well as possible.”
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League