Sep 7, 2013, 9:53 PM EDT
Reinforcements are en route for Jurgen Klinsmann’s national team – and the numbers are somewhat surprising as the U.S. manager has called in a foursome to assist in Tuesday’s high-profile qualifier against Mexico.
The list includes two from MLS and two from Liga MX: Tijuana midfielder Joe Corona, Tigres midfielder Jose Torres, Houston Dynamo midfielder Brad Davis and San Jose Earthquakes defender Clarence Goodson (pictured).
Goodson has the best chance to start, especially given Anthony Brooks’ departure back to Germany. We talked more about that in the previous post on players with the best chance to fortify Tuesday’s U.S. lineup.
But it wouldn’t be totally surprising to see Torres in a creative role. He can also help retain possession – really, his specialty, more than playmaking – if Michael Bradley cannot play.
Given the number of players called in, and as U.S. Soccer announced late Saturday night that an MRI will be performed on Bradley’s injured ankle Sunday, we might guess that the important U.S. midfielder’s chances of playing are not great.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear