Sep 7, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT
- The LA Galaxy have won three games in a row and are now tied with the Seattle Sounders for second place in the Western Conference. Both teams are five points behind Real Salt Lake, although RSL has played two games more than the Galaxy and three more than the Sounders.
- Prior to last weekend, when they lost 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City, the Colorado Rapids were unbeaten in their last nine games. That brings them to fourth in the West, even with the Portland Timbers.
- LA are without Robbie Keane (Ireland), Jaime Penedo (Panama), Landon Donovan, and Omar Gonzalez (USA), all on international duty, while Gabriel Torres (Panama) is on international duty and Diego Calderón injured for Colorado.
The Colorado Rapids pay a visit to the StubHub Center to take on the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday. After snapping their nine-game unbeaten run last week in Kansas City, the Rapids hope to take some of the shine off LA, who beat their northern neighbors the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 last weekend.
There’s no denying that things are heating up in the West. Colorado’s long spell of success has them in prime position for a playoff spot, but last week’s loss to Kansas City may have shaken up the Rapids just a bit. The visitors will have to dig deep and find a way to get a result. Their 39 points have them even with Portland and two points above the Vancouver Whitecaps and FC Dallas, but Colorado has played an additional game more than their competitors. Another stumble and the Rapids could find themselves below the dreaded red line.
But the visitors have had a tough time of it in Los Angeles, with just six wins from 30 meetings on the Galaxy’s home turf. The two sides have met twice already this season, with the Galaxy winning 1-0 in LA back in March, and the Rapids clinching a 2-0 victory in Colorado in July. Overall, Colorado have three wins, five losses and five ties while on the road — perhaps not very encouraging for a team about to embark on a six game road trip.
Colorado may find a bit of comfort in looking at LA’s absences, however. Landon Donovan scored the first and Robbie Keane added a brace against San Jose last week, but both players are away on international duty. The Galaxy are also without Jaime Penedo, who has started the last three matches in goal, and defensive stalwart Omar Gonzalez. Colorado, for their part, are missing Gabriel Torres up front, but with Edson Buddle coming off the bench to score two goals in two consecutive matches, the Rapids are likely not too worried.
What They’re Saying
Colorado Rapids defender Chris Klute on end-of-season matches: “Now these games are for playoff points. The beginning of the season doesn’t even matter anyone because everyone’s pretty much even on the points and we know that…It’s a different ball game so we need to change our game up a little bit.”
Colorado could surprise there. The Galaxy are facing some significant absences, and the visitors could certainly take advantage of a weakened defense to put in at least one goal. The Rapids are well aware that just one misstep could leave them scrambling for a playoff spot, and they’ll want to take advantage of an LA side missing some of its best players.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
German international Kroos: “It is no secret the Premier League is a possibility”
Mar 10, 2014, 8:35 AM EDT
Newcastle’s on-loan forward interesting Arsenal, after stellar 2013-14 campaign:
Mar 10, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT
Could Saints’ talented academy products switch St. Mary’s for Old Trafford this summer?
Mar 9, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
It likely means very little, but it’s a narrative we’ll be watching all year… and the first salvo belongs to the Western Conference.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
He’s in Barcelona. She’s from Colombia. Their kid is named Milan.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT
It was a small sample size for the Premier League, but that didn’t stop some stars from shining in Round 29.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
With Levante already trailing Real Madrid 2-0, David Navarro took a red card for a harsh foul on the international star.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
Aside from the Gunners, there shouldn’t be too many hurt feelings amongst the other giants of Europe.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
The Old Lady beats Fiorentina to extend lead atop Serie A, dismiss opponents’ threat to third.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Knee ailment sees Dutch midfielder out of match after 12 minutes.
Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action
Mar 9, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
The Blues are seven points clear, Fulham moves clear to the second tier, and Manchester United illuminate the depths of West Brom.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
It was Valladolid’s first win over Barcelona since October 2012, and “boosted” their record in the rivalry to 4W-5D-23L.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:35 PM EDT
That’s a photo from an actual Serie A match between Lazio and Atalanta. Wow.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:07 PM EDT
Wilmer Cabrera gets a win in his debut as boss of Chivas USA.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
This Johannsson kid is easily the best Icelandic-Alabaman we’ve seen in a long time.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Meyler capped off a long run with a left-footed finish to score the second of Hull’s three goals in a shutout win over Sunderland on Sunday.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:26 PM EDT
It’s a horrifying story, and one that is sure to have severe repercussions throughout Ghana’s soccer structure.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
With Pique picking up his fourth yellow against Real Valladolid, he could sit next league match to ensure his availability against Real Madrid.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
At least one of Wigan, Hull City or Sheffield United will make the FA Cup final as the quarterfinals are complete and the semifinal draw is out.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
In the midst of a 4-match winless skid in the Bundesliga – 5 if you include the Champions League drubbing by PSG – Bayer Leverkusen now lose a key midfield component.
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 0
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro