Sep 7, 2013, 7:55 AM EDT
- The LA Galaxy have won three games in a row and are now tied with the Seattle Sounders for second place in the Western Conference. Both teams are five points behind Real Salt Lake, although RSL has played two games more than the Galaxy and three more than the Sounders.
- Prior to last weekend, when they lost 2-1 to Sporting Kansas City, the Colorado Rapids were unbeaten in their last nine games. That brings them to fourth in the West, even with the Portland Timbers.
- LA are without Robbie Keane (Ireland), Jaime Penedo (Panama), Landon Donovan, and Omar Gonzalez (USA), all on international duty, while Gabriel Torres (Panama) is on international duty and Diego Calderón injured for Colorado.
The Colorado Rapids pay a visit to the StubHub Center to take on the Los Angeles Galaxy on Sunday. After snapping their nine-game unbeaten run last week in Kansas City, the Rapids hope to take some of the shine off LA, who beat their northern neighbors the San Jose Earthquakes 3-0 last weekend.
There’s no denying that things are heating up in the West. Colorado’s long spell of success has them in prime position for a playoff spot, but last week’s loss to Kansas City may have shaken up the Rapids just a bit. The visitors will have to dig deep and find a way to get a result. Their 39 points have them even with Portland and two points above the Vancouver Whitecaps and FC Dallas, but Colorado has played an additional game more than their competitors. Another stumble and the Rapids could find themselves below the dreaded red line.
But the visitors have had a tough time of it in Los Angeles, with just six wins from 30 meetings on the Galaxy’s home turf. The two sides have met twice already this season, with the Galaxy winning 1-0 in LA back in March, and the Rapids clinching a 2-0 victory in Colorado in July. Overall, Colorado have three wins, five losses and five ties while on the road — perhaps not very encouraging for a team about to embark on a six game road trip.
Colorado may find a bit of comfort in looking at LA’s absences, however. Landon Donovan scored the first and Robbie Keane added a brace against San Jose last week, but both players are away on international duty. The Galaxy are also without Jaime Penedo, who has started the last three matches in goal, and defensive stalwart Omar Gonzalez. Colorado, for their part, are missing Gabriel Torres up front, but with Edson Buddle coming off the bench to score two goals in two consecutive matches, the Rapids are likely not too worried.
What They’re Saying
Colorado Rapids defender Chris Klute on end-of-season matches: “Now these games are for playoff points. The beginning of the season doesn’t even matter anyone because everyone’s pretty much even on the points and we know that…It’s a different ball game so we need to change our game up a little bit.”
Colorado could surprise there. The Galaxy are facing some significant absences, and the visitors could certainly take advantage of a weakened defense to put in at least one goal. The Rapids are well aware that just one misstep could leave them scrambling for a playoff spot, and they’ll want to take advantage of an LA side missing some of its best players.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:17 PM EDT
Another month out for Sturridge, just when Liverpool’s top-four dreams rest on his shoulders the most.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
You couldn’t get this one anymore wrong, UEFA. 10-times worse than racism? Not OK.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EDT
Solo said her 30-day suspension was full of therapy, apologies to her teammates and getting herself right for this summer’s World Cup.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:04 PM EDT
This weekend’s EURO 2016 qualifiers marks the halfway point of the group stage, which means it’s do-or-die time for a few hopefuls, and some giants.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The “Special One” received a rather special amount of cash in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Reports claim Pjanic is ready to leave Roma after four years in the Italian capital.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
Xavi is heading to Qatar on a three-year deal, will get paid $11 million per season.
Mar 26, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Here’s a look at the players with the highest revenue in 2014.
Mar 26, 2015, 1:36 PM EDT
Blues legend extends his stay at the Bridge.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT
When he’s not ripping apart Premier League defenses, Sanchez loves to unwind by tickling the ivory.
Mar 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EDT
Barcelona ace had a pretty decent 2014…
Mar 26, 2015, 11:28 AM EDT
Shakhtar’s star striker set to leave in December when his contract runs out.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:21 AM EDT
Saints midfielder speaks of his desire to play in the UCL, reassess his future this summer.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Ronaldo could be in trouble after enticing Barca’s fans.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:45 AM EDT
Walcott denies a “bust-up” with Wenger over contract talks.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:58 AM EDT
The German international playmaker is aiming to join the Messi’s and Ronaldo’s of this world.
Mar 25, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
The MLS disciplinary committee was busy after this last weekend.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
All the priceless images and marketable moments from the Argentinian national team’s visit to the Verizon Center.
Mar 25, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Having won just about every possible trophy in his five years at the Bernabeu, the German is moving on.
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 2
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 3
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6