Sep 7, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
A 23-man roster that seemed set for two matches has seen considerable shrinkage over the past few hours.
Michael Bradley’s ankle, rolled during pregame warmups Friday in Costa Rica, will be the most watched bone or joint in U.S. soccer over the next few days. The United States clearly needs its midfield brain to function at highest efficiency Tuesday at Crew Stadium against a reeling and vulnerable Mexico. (Well, it needs Bradley for pretty much every big match over the next few years – but we’re mostly just talking about Tuesday’s border battle for now.)
- Clarence Goodson is the most obvious man to call on. Even if Anthony Brooks is called into duty – a pretty big ask for the emerging Bundesliga man, making a World Cup qualifier debut against the region’s fallen giant – Goodson can still provide needed, veteran stability and cover. If Klinsmann doesn’t summon another center back, he takes a mighty risk; Michael Orozco or Michael Parkhurst would be the only other center back options, but using either one in the middle removes an outside back option, where the United States is already perilously thin. (Assuming Orozco remains an outside back option, considering his predictably wobbly night as a makeshift right back on Friday.)
- The need to add another forward doesn’t seem quite as pressing. If Klinsmann does want additional cover, look for Alan Gordon or Chris Wondolowski from San Jose. However, removing Earthquakes’ teammate Goodson from San Jose’s weekend match, which would almost surely happen since the Quakes play late Sunday, less than 48 hours prior to U.S. kickoff in Columbus, might complicate the calculus on that one.
- Will Bruin or Jack McInerney are further striker options, but considering their lack of minutes in the recent Gold Cup they seem highly unlikely ones.
- If Bradley (pictured above) cannot get healthy in time, replacement options include Sacha Kljestan (not likely considering the travel involved) or Joe Corona (more likely considering the far less substantial distance.) The most likely scenario here seems to be Jones moving into Bradley’s linking role as we saw Friday, with Kyle Beckerman screening the defense. Or Jones could screen and Mix Diskerud would become the linking man.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park