Sep 7, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
A 23-man roster that seemed set for two matches has seen considerable shrinkage over the past few hours.
Michael Bradley’s ankle, rolled during pregame warmups Friday in Costa Rica, will be the most watched bone or joint in U.S. soccer over the next few days. The United States clearly needs its midfield brain to function at highest efficiency Tuesday at Crew Stadium against a reeling and vulnerable Mexico. (Well, it needs Bradley for pretty much every big match over the next few years – but we’re mostly just talking about Tuesday’s border battle for now.)
- Clarence Goodson is the most obvious man to call on. Even if Anthony Brooks is called into duty – a pretty big ask for the emerging Bundesliga man, making a World Cup qualifier debut against the region’s fallen giant – Goodson can still provide needed, veteran stability and cover. If Klinsmann doesn’t summon another center back, he takes a mighty risk; Michael Orozco or Michael Parkhurst would be the only other center back options, but using either one in the middle removes an outside back option, where the United States is already perilously thin. (Assuming Orozco remains an outside back option, considering his predictably wobbly night as a makeshift right back on Friday.)
- The need to add another forward doesn’t seem quite as pressing. If Klinsmann does want additional cover, look for Alan Gordon or Chris Wondolowski from San Jose. However, removing Earthquakes’ teammate Goodson from San Jose’s weekend match, which would almost surely happen since the Quakes play late Sunday, less than 48 hours prior to U.S. kickoff in Columbus, might complicate the calculus on that one.
- Will Bruin or Jack McInerney are further striker options, but considering their lack of minutes in the recent Gold Cup they seem highly unlikely ones.
- If Bradley (pictured above) cannot get healthy in time, replacement options include Sacha Kljestan (not likely considering the travel involved) or Joe Corona (more likely considering the far less substantial distance.) The most likely scenario here seems to be Jones moving into Bradley’s linking role as we saw Friday, with Kyle Beckerman screening the defense. Or Jones could screen and Mix Diskerud would become the linking man.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game live online or via the app during Week 33.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT
Storylines ahead of FA Cup semifinal clashes.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
Jose Mourinho provided his backing for fellow PL manager Manuel Pellegrini, who could be terminated as Manchester City’s manager at the year’s conclusion.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Final: New York Red Bulls 2-0 San Jose Earthquakes
Apr 17, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Beckenbauer on Bayern’s year-end winning aspirations: “They are far away, far, far, far away to win the Champions League.”
Apr 17, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Hart: “[Pellegrini] has got principles that we work to, that we train to and, like I say, we’ve let him down…”
Apr 17, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
PSG striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic had his four-game ban reduced today.
Apr 17, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
Preview of Everton-Burnley tomorrow morning: Can the Toffees extend their solid form?
Apr 17, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
Steven Gerrard will hope to exit Anfield with one last crown, an FA Cup trophy, and Aston Villa stands in the way.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
Chelsea and United do battle at the Bridge on Saturday. Watch it live on NBC and online at 12:30 p.m .ET.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
The US left-back appears to have returned to the national team picture after a prolonged hiatus, and he’s brought with him a special flair.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
How will the Blues and Red Devils line up on Saturday? Here’s a quick gander…
Apr 17, 2015, 12:20 PM EDT
As two giants of English soccer collide on Saturday, here’s a trip down memory lane at some scintillating past encounters.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every single PL game live during Week 33.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Here’s how PST’s Lead Writer and Editor sees things panning out in Week 33.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
After alleged smoking of shisha pipe, inhaling nitrus oxide, Liverpool’s youngsters called into Rodgers’ office.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The Western Conference is the place to be this weekend, as it so often will be this season. The East ain’t awful either.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:29 AM EDT
City’s skipper could miss the rest of the campaign with groin injury.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:35 AM EDT
Red Devils will be without four regulars for their trip to Stamford Bridge this weekend.
Apr 16, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
There are a lot of not-good people in the world, and unfortunately soccer tends to bring that not-goodness out of them.
- Brek Shea’s USMNT return includes a personal, artistic touch 3
- Wayne Rooney may play in midfield: How will Chelsea, Manchester United line up? 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 33 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Red-hot teams will keep rolling 3
- MLS Week 7 preview: RSL vs. Whitecaps, Galaxy vs. Sporting KC in the wild West 0
- Injury crisis for Manchester United as four key players to miss clash vs. Chelsea 1