Sep 8, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Fans of the band are furious (because of course they are) with a Gabriel Agbonlahor challenge that left singer Louis Tomlinson injured and vomiting on the pitch (video below). It does appear, however, that his flowing hair remained relatively intact.
The challenge looked physical but relatively harmless, and Tomlinson was left writhing in pain for a moment before limping off the field and leaving his lunch behind him.
Twitter exploded, with some fans of the band – known as “Directioners” – sending Agbonlahor death threats.
Tomlinson does have a history with soccer. He is a lifelong fan of League One side Doncaster Rovers, and the team rewarded his fanhood with a contract (pictured) and a promise to appear in a reserves match in the future to raise charity money.
UPDATE: A fantastic tweet from The Mirror confirmed Agbonlahor would be apologizing to Tomlinson.
In news from the match that actually matters, Petrov – a former Aston Villa player who was forced to retire due to a bout with leukemia – played and was honored in the 19th minute, a fantastic gesture to recognize his kit number during his time at Villa and something Villa fans had been practicing for a while.
Watch Agbonlahor’s challenge on the poor, defenseless singer:
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 0
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 0
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1
- Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Man United’s romp, Arsenal’s form and more 0
- Dreams do come true: DC United seal deal for new stadium they will call home 0