Sep 8, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
Fans of the band are furious (because of course they are) with a Gabriel Agbonlahor challenge that left singer Louis Tomlinson injured and vomiting on the pitch (video below). It does appear, however, that his flowing hair remained relatively intact.
The challenge looked physical but relatively harmless, and Tomlinson was left writhing in pain for a moment before limping off the field and leaving his lunch behind him.
Twitter exploded, with some fans of the band – known as “Directioners” – sending Agbonlahor death threats.
Tomlinson does have a history with soccer. He is a lifelong fan of League One side Doncaster Rovers, and the team rewarded his fanhood with a contract (pictured) and a promise to appear in a reserves match in the future to raise charity money.
UPDATE: A fantastic tweet from The Mirror confirmed Agbonlahor would be apologizing to Tomlinson.
In news from the match that actually matters, Petrov – a former Aston Villa player who was forced to retire due to a bout with leukemia – played and was honored in the 19th minute, a fantastic gesture to recognize his kit number during his time at Villa and something Villa fans had been practicing for a while.
Watch Agbonlahor’s challenge on the poor, defenseless singer:
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014