Sep 8, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
The Liverpool midfielder declared, “[Lampard] is too good for LA Galaxy. You have seen his form for Chelsea at the back end of last season. It would have been sad if he had moved away, he’s a great player.”
Ouch. It was rumored that Lampard’s time at Chelsea may have been coming to a close with the return of Jose Mourinho, and many believed a big-money move to the United States could be on the cards. Instead, Lampard impressed towards the end of last season in the Blues’ run to their Europa League victory, and Mourinho kept him aboard.
The Los Angeles snub was the correct decision for his teammate, the England captain believes. “Of course I would have supported his decision if he had decided to go to LA Galaxy” said Gerrard. “But for me he still had a lot to offer in the Premier League and certainly for England.”
Gerrard also reiterated his good relationship with Lampard, despite the fact the two often find themselves in bitter Premier League battles.
“Nobody deserves it [100 caps] more than Frank” said Gerrard. “He’s been tremendous for club and country. He’s a top player. Hopefully I am on the pitch when he does get that 100th cap and I can share the moment with him because I have been with him all the way through. He’s a good friend of mine. I can’t wait for him to get it.”
Lampard , 35 years old, would earn the milestone if he were to appear in England’s enormous World Cup qualifier with Ukraine on Tuesday.
So, does this mean Gerrard thinks Lampard is above David Beckham then, too?
- Could Joe Hart return to Premier League action this weekend against Fulham? 0
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 7
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 3
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 3
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 11
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy