Sep 8, 2013, 12:06 AM EST
Every once in a while all the elements come together: A goalkeeper cheating out just a little too far. The man on high alert, with just a little too much time and space in midfield. And is certainly must be the “right man,” one of skill but also blessed with plenty of guts, not afraid to try the truly audacious.
It all came together as FC Dallas defender Jair Benitez, an impetuous and even volatile sort whose unstable defending is balanced by a desire and ability to constantly attack up the left side, had the opportunity for something special late Saturday against Vancouver.
Benitez scored from about three steps inside the attacking half, dropping the ball over Vancouver Whitecaps goalkeeper David Ousted essentially from midfield.
We’ve seen a few of these in MLS. David Beckham had one a couple of years back, and U.S. international Graham Zusi once caught Kevin Hartman slightly unawares from long distance, just to name a couple.
Add Benitez’s name to the roster of long-distance delivery man. Here it is, FC Dallas’ third in a 3-1 win over Vancouver.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park