Sep 8, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
Former Real Madrid midfielder Mesut Özil has praised Arsene Wenger for convincing him he belongs at Arsenal, and even went so far as to say he would have joined Arsenal for free.
He says Wenger called him personally on Deadline Day and spoke to him in perfect German. “Something clicked on that phone call” Özil told German paper Die Welt. “He showed me exactly what I was missing at Real – transparency, trust, and respect. He told me exactly how he views me, how he plans to use me, and what he expects of me.”
He added, “I would have come for free.” It’s a bold statement from the German, who will join the Gunners in search of trophies, something that has eluded the London club since 2005.
Reports recently have surfaced in Spain that say Özil fell out of favor with Real Madrid officials thanks to a lavish lifestyle that involved contact with many women, and may have led to a drop in match fitness. In his three-plus years at Real Madrid, Özil’s 105 La Liga appearances saw him substituted off 58 times.
With the purchase of Gareth Bale, it allowed Madrid to part ways with Özil despite the backlash from fans.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear