Sep 9, 2013, 7:45 AM EDT
It looks like another ‘Special One’ is starting to make his mark on the professional game in England, as the son of Chelsea manager José Mourinho has signed with Premier League side Fulham.
14-year-old goalkeeper Jose Mario Mourinho had been on a month-long trial with the Cottagers and now they’ve offered the youngster a deal in their academy.
What is interesting here is that Mourinho’s father was a great ‘keeper for Portuguese side Setubal and won one cap for the Portuguese national team, while Mourinho himself had a very short professional career as his playing days didn’t quite take off. Obviously the skills on the pitch skipped a generation as Jose Mario now looks to follow in his grandfathers footsteps on the soccer field.
Jose Mario had previously played for Real Madrid’s youth team while his dad was manager at the Bernabeu for the past few years but it’s quite surprising that he has decided against playing for Chelsea’s youth setup. It seems as though the youngster wants to make it on his own at a different club, without his father being in the background the whole time.
Understandable when your Dad is one of the greatest soccer coaches of all time.
But one day could we see Jose Mario Mourinho lining up for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge while his father is in charge? You never know, Petr Cech won’t play on forever and if the youngster is groomed into a fine goalkeeper, why wouldn’t he help out his Dad?
Anyway, I thought it would be cool to take a look at some other fathers and sons who have worked together in soccer. Here’s a list of players who have been managed by their Dads. Any more you can think of?
Famous father-son soccer duos
Harry Redknapp and Jamie Redknapp
Bob Bradley and Michael Bradley
Johan Cruyff and Jordi Cruyff
Paul Ince and Tom Ince
Cesar Maldini and Paolo Maldini
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0