Sep 10, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
In a close and hard-fought match-up in the Brazilian Serie D playoffs, Aparecidense defeated Tupi on away goals. But were it not for a timely intervention from off the field, Tupi would have won.
In the 90th minute, Aparecidense masseur Romildo Fonseca da Silva jumped onto the field while Tupi was on a breakaway and stopped two shots on the line. The only way to really comprehend it is to watch the video:
Aparecidense advanced to the Serie D quarterfinals with the win, but it has not escaped criticism even from its own president.
“My personal opinion is that it was wrong, but as president I will defend the club,” Wilson Queiroz Brasil told Brazilian outlet Estadão.
The result has yet to be overturned by Brazilian officials.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit