Sep 10, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
In a close and hard-fought match-up in the Brazilian Serie D playoffs, Aparecidense defeated Tupi on away goals. But were it not for a timely intervention from off the field, Tupi would have won.
In the 90th minute, Aparecidense masseur Romildo Fonseca da Silva jumped onto the field while Tupi was on a breakaway and stopped two shots on the line. The only way to really comprehend it is to watch the video:
Aparecidense advanced to the Serie D quarterfinals with the win, but it has not escaped criticism even from its own president.
“My personal opinion is that it was wrong, but as president I will defend the club,” Wilson Queiroz Brasil told Brazilian outlet Estadão.
The result has yet to be overturned by Brazilian officials.
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1