Sep 10, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
In a close and hard-fought match-up in the Brazilian Serie D playoffs, Aparecidense defeated Tupi on away goals. But were it not for a timely intervention from off the field, Tupi would have won.
In the 90th minute, Aparecidense masseur Romildo Fonseca da Silva jumped onto the field while Tupi was on a breakaway and stopped two shots on the line. The only way to really comprehend it is to watch the video:
Aparecidense advanced to the Serie D quarterfinals with the win, but it has not escaped criticism even from its own president.
“My personal opinion is that it was wrong, but as president I will defend the club,” Wilson Queiroz Brasil told Brazilian outlet Estadão.
The result has yet to be overturned by Brazilian officials.
- MLS roundup: Last-place beats 1st-place; Toronto FC top Timbers; Revs, D.C. split points 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: One last time, with feeling (and drama… and dread) 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Tension galore as finale arrives 0
- Premier League scenarios: Europa League and relegation requirements 0
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Manchester United 1
- TV SCHEDULE: Premier League finale – 10 games, 10 channels on Championship Sunday 0