Sep 10, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT
In a close and hard-fought match-up in the Brazilian Serie D playoffs, Aparecidense defeated Tupi on away goals. But were it not for a timely intervention from off the field, Tupi would have won.
In the 90th minute, Aparecidense masseur Romildo Fonseca da Silva jumped onto the field while Tupi was on a breakaway and stopped two shots on the line. The only way to really comprehend it is to watch the video:
Aparecidense advanced to the Serie D quarterfinals with the win, but it has not escaped criticism even from its own president.
“My personal opinion is that it was wrong, but as president I will defend the club,” Wilson Queiroz Brasil told Brazilian outlet Estadão.
The result has yet to be overturned by Brazilian officials.
- NWSL Digest: Reign, Flash flying as we move past Week 1 0
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 3
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6