Sep 10, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
- Kickoff at 24,000-seat Crew Stadium is set officially for 8:06 p.m. ET (ESPN, UniMas in Spanish).
- The United States has won 12 of its last 13 matches; the lone loss was Friday at Costa Rica (3-1).
- Manager Jurgen Klinsmann added four players to the U.Ss roster following Michael Bradley’s injury and the yellow card suspensions for Geoff Cameron, Matt Besler and Jozy Altidore. He added defender Clarence Goodson and midfielders Joe Corona, Brad Davis and Jose Torres.
- The United States is 6-0-3 all-time at Crew Stadium and is 4-0-2 in its last six home qualifiers against Mexico.
- Eight players from the current roster appeared in March 26 draw (0-0) at Estadio Azteca, the United States’ second tie in qualifying on Mexican soil. The lineup was: Brad Guzan; Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley; Michael Bradley, Maurice Edu; Grahama Zusi (Brek Shea, 82), Clint Dempsey, Herculez Gomez (Brad Davis, 71); Jozy Altidore (Eddie Johnson, 55).
- Clint Dempsey was the latest U. S. man to earn his 100th cap, doing so Friday against Costa Rica. With his penalty kick goal, Dempsey became the country’s all-time leading scorer in World Cup qualifiers with 13 goals.
- U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard has 31 career shutouts, one behind Tony Meola for second-most in U.S. history behind only Kasey Keller (47). Howard also has 50 career wins, second-most in program behind Keller (53).
- Five U.S. men play professional for Liga MX clubs (in Mexico): DaMarcus Beasley, Edgar Castillo, Joe Corona, Orozco and Jose Torres.
- Landon Donovan has five career goals against Mexico, including his first career international strike and a goal in the Round of 16 win at World Cup 2002. He has 15 total caps against Mexico.
The U.S. roster looks like this:
GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (6): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Clarence Goodson (San Jose Earthquakes), Michael Orozco (Puebla), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg)
MIDFIELDERS (9): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Jose Torres (Tigres), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
FORWARDS (4): Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC).
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester United 6
- MLS All Stars 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: Kaka powers MLS to win 6
- Men in Blazers podcast: Chelsea’s John Terry joins Rog and Davo 0
- Swiss star Barnetta moves to MLS; Orlando City signs a pair of Europeans 4
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 1