Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 AM EDT
COLUMBUS, Ohio — This Dos a Cero thing really is uncanny, how the U.S. wins over Mexico on home soil keep landing on the very same score, this “2-0” thing that is approaching something mythical.
The United States trumped Mexico by that very score in the 2002 World Cup, and by that score in World Cup qualifiers (in Columbus, no less) en route to the 2002, 2006 and 2010 World Cups. Now, en route to the 2014 World Cup, too.
“The funny thing is, even at 1-0, I wanted to win, but the greed in me said, “It would be cool if it was 2-0,” just to keep the symmetry, you know,” U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard said late Tuesday. “Listen, every time they schedule a game here [against Mexico], and we know that it’s going to happen, we feel like we are destined to win it. And not that it happens that way all the time, but we feel like it does, and it seems to work out.”
Howard (pictured celebrating late Tuesday) also said that while all qualification clinchers are special, getting the job done against Mexico is real cherry-on-the-sundae stuff.
“We try not to talk about it before the game … but, yeah, as an American player, you are ultimately judged on how you play against Mexico. All the images you have in your head are about U.S.-Mexico. So when it comes to the big games, and this is one of them, you want to play well.”
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs