Sep 11, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
I get it. It’s fun right now for U.S. Soccer fans to watch Mexico desperately bail water.
I know it would be a real knee slapper for some of the passionate Yank supporters to see our bitter border rival miss out completely on World Cup 2014. Yep, I know a few folks personally who would hoot and holler and high five over that one.
But be careful what you wish for.
There would be implications beyond next summer for the entire region if Mexico misses out. Long story short, CONCACAF could face a reduction of places allocated for the following World Cup, which would reduce the U.S. chances of making an eighth consecutive World Cup appearance.
Four spots for CONCACAF (well, three-and-a-half), is controversial enough as it is.
Imagine the hue and cry if the United States, Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama make it to Brazil – all while a strong country or two or three from Europe, and another one from South America cannot get in.
If that happens, when spots for World Cup 2018 are allocated, I would not be surprised to see CONCACAF get just three berths, without the extra play-in opportunity.
And next time around, it might be the United States rather than Mexico that suddenly finds itself on the wrong side of Murphy’s Law.
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"