Sep 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
While everyone has been busy applauding and congratulating Gareth Bale on his world record transfer, a mega-move that he’s been dreaming about his entire life, you can count on Zlatan Ibrahimovic to try and bring Bale back down to earth with a thud.
“No footballer is worth paying that amount of money for,” Ibrahimovic said. “There is a lot of pressure on him.”
But the Paris Saint-Germain striker wasn’t finished.
“I know that when Zinedine Zidane played for Madrid, the fans were whistling against him,” Ibrahimovic continued. “If they can whistle against Zidane, for me one of the best players in history, I hope Bale has a lot of patience.”
You may be asking exactly what Ibra is trying to achieve by making these comments?
Well, he is one of the most transferred players in today’s game and has been bought and sold for astronomical fees over the years. Clubs likes Ajax, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain have all paid huge fees for the services of the towering Swedish forward. So, even though the comments from the 31-year-old PSG striker seem slightly harsh, he has a better sense than most at what pressures come with making a big move to one of world soccer’s greatest teams.
Clubs have spent over $190 million on Ibrahimovic throughout his glittering career and the biggest transfer of all, his switch from Inter Milan to Barcelona in 2009, did not got well. Still the third largest transfer fee in world history, Zlatan switched the San Siro for the Camp Nou in an $84 million deal. But his stay in Catalan lasted for just one year after the big money move went wrong.
A warning to Bale perhaps? Eh, maybe.
But there is a reason why Ibrahimovic keeps hopping from club-to-club; he’s a volatile character who openly shares his opinions and as a result if things aren’t going his way then the situation goes downhill rapidly. Yet Welsh international Bale has a completely different attitude and outlook, much more positive and team-orientated, I know that for a fact.
However the former Tottenham Hotspur star will be getting plenty of advice from every single person he meets right now. So Zlatan Ibrahimovic has joined the queue.
And even though many will scoff at the negativity of Zlatan’s comments, Bale shouldn’t dismiss them altogether. The 24-year-old Welshman should learn from Ibra’s mistakes because the wise old Swede has experience on his side, no matter if you agree or disagree with how he’s conducted himself in the past. That and he’s one of the best strikers in the world, scoring 30 goals in 34 league games for PSG last season as they won the French title.
The pressure at Real will be something entirely new to Bale, but he probably knew that already. Thanks anyway, Ibra.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 2
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"