Sep 12, 2013, 11:15 PM EDT
Chivas USA announced on Thursday that it signed defender Bobby Burling to a two-year contract extension through the 2015 season. Burling has appeared in 19 games in 2013, starting 14, in his second stint with the Los Angeles club.
“Obviously, I have a special place in me for this club,” Burling said in a club release. “It’s the second time I’ve been here, and there are a lot of familiar faces. I just want to be part of the rebuilding process, and I’m excited to be able to stay in L.A. and be a part of the turnaround of this club.”
Burling joined Chivas USA in 2007 from the crosstown Los Angeles Galaxy, after the latter selected him in the MLS Supplemental Draft. The Montreal Impact selected him in the 2011 Expansion Draft from the San Jose Earthquakes, where he moved in 2009, and the Impact traded his rights back to Chivas before the season began.
“It’s a joy to be able to count on Bobby being here for the next two seasons,” director of soccer Francisco Palencia said. “He’s someone that displays a level of professionalism, is a quality player and above all has supported the team — because he is a person with experience that knows the club and the league very well. It’s a great thing for us that he has signed with the club and that he will be a part of the team for the next two years.”
Burling is in the club’s top 10 in games started and minutes played in 2013, logging 1,336 minutes so far.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes