Sep 12, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Benched Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas’ future is in serious doubt after recent press clippings from Spain shed light on his precarious position in new manager Carlo Ancelotti’s plans. Casillas has played his entire career, from youth to senior levels, with Real Madrid, advancing to the role of Spanish national team captain in his time with the club.
However, Spain manager Vicente del Bosque said on Monday that Casillas had only “half-solved” his future, according to Marca. The goalkeeper’s girlfriend told El País (via Marca) that she was not sure if their child would be “born in Madrid or outside of Spain.”
Casillas sat on the bench during Spain’s 2-2 friendly draw with Chile on Tuesday, while FC Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdés started and Napoli’s Pepe Reina played the last half hour. Casillas has started the team’s last two World Cup qualifiers after splitting time with his two compatriots during the Confederations Cup.
Rumors out of Spain have linked Casillas with a move to Borussia Dortmund in the winter transfer window, but German site Bild dismissed those possibilities as “batty,” noting that Borussia goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller just signed a contract extension through 2016 in May.
Real sporting director and assistant coach Zinedine Zidane is trying to convince the goalkeeper to stay, according to multiple reports in Madrid. He has about four months, which will only become more difficult if Ancelotti keeps favoring Diego López for the No. 1 role.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 20
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)