Sep 12, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Benched Real Madrid goalkeeper Iker Casillas’ future is in serious doubt after recent press clippings from Spain shed light on his precarious position in new manager Carlo Ancelotti’s plans. Casillas has played his entire career, from youth to senior levels, with Real Madrid, advancing to the role of Spanish national team captain in his time with the club.
However, Spain manager Vicente del Bosque said on Monday that Casillas had only “half-solved” his future, according to Marca. The goalkeeper’s girlfriend told El País (via Marca) that she was not sure if their child would be “born in Madrid or outside of Spain.”
Casillas sat on the bench during Spain’s 2-2 friendly draw with Chile on Tuesday, while FC Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdés started and Napoli’s Pepe Reina played the last half hour. Casillas has started the team’s last two World Cup qualifiers after splitting time with his two compatriots during the Confederations Cup.
Rumors out of Spain have linked Casillas with a move to Borussia Dortmund in the winter transfer window, but German site Bild dismissed those possibilities as “batty,” noting that Borussia goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller just signed a contract extension through 2016 in May.
Real sporting director and assistant coach Zinedine Zidane is trying to convince the goalkeeper to stay, according to multiple reports in Madrid. He has about four months, which will only become more difficult if Ancelotti keeps favoring Diego López for the No. 1 role.
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 0
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 3
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 3