Sep 12, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
After spending time with the RSC Anderlecht academy, 18-year-old American midfielder Patrick Tshiani signed with Standard de Liège on Sept. 6, according to the player’s Twitter account. On Thursday, he tweeted another update, saying he would be playing in his first reserve match on Friday, against Kortrijk.
Standard sits in first place in the Belgian Pro League, four points above Zulte-Waregem and Club Brugge after six rounds of play. Liège has won the league title 10 times, most recently in back-to-back seasons in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The club is in UEFA Europa League Group C this season, drawn with Esbjerg fB, FC Salzburg and IF Elfsborg.
His family originally from the Congo, Tshiani last appeared in a United States uniform during a 10-day training camp with the under-15 national team in March 2010 in Bradenton, Fla. He left the U.S., and Bethesda Soccer Club in Maryland, in 2011 to join the RSC Anderlecht U19s, part of the Belgian club currently home to U.S. international Sacha Kljestan and former D.C. United midfielder Andy Najar.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Inter Milan (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 6
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 3