Sep 12, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT
After spending time with the RSC Anderlecht academy, 18-year-old American midfielder Patrick Tshiani signed with Standard de Liège on Sept. 6, according to the player’s Twitter account. On Thursday, he tweeted another update, saying he would be playing in his first reserve match on Friday, against Kortrijk.
Standard sits in first place in the Belgian Pro League, four points above Zulte-Waregem and Club Brugge after six rounds of play. Liège has won the league title 10 times, most recently in back-to-back seasons in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The club is in UEFA Europa League Group C this season, drawn with Esbjerg fB, FC Salzburg and IF Elfsborg.
His family originally from the Congo, Tshiani last appeared in a United States uniform during a 10-day training camp with the under-15 national team in March 2010 in Bradenton, Fla. He left the U.S., and Bethesda Soccer Club in Maryland, in 2011 to join the RSC Anderlecht U19s, part of the Belgian club currently home to U.S. international Sacha Kljestan and former D.C. United midfielder Andy Najar.
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England