Sep 12, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
After spending time with the RSC Anderlecht academy, 18-year-old American midfielder Patrick Tshiani signed with Standard de Liège on Sept. 6, according to the player’s Twitter account. On Thursday, he tweeted another update, saying he would be playing in his first reserve match on Friday, against Kortrijk.
Standard sits in first place in the Belgian Pro League, four points above Zulte-Waregem and Club Brugge after six rounds of play. Liège has won the league title 10 times, most recently in back-to-back seasons in 2007-08 and 2008-09. The club is in UEFA Europa League Group C this season, drawn with Esbjerg fB, FC Salzburg and IF Elfsborg.
His family originally from the Congo, Tshiani last appeared in a United States uniform during a 10-day training camp with the under-15 national team in March 2010 in Bradenton, Fla. He left the U.S., and Bethesda Soccer Club in Maryland, in 2011 to join the RSC Anderlecht U19s, part of the Belgian club currently home to U.S. international Sacha Kljestan and former D.C. United midfielder Andy Najar.
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 5
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 5
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 3
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 5
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)