Sep 13, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
After finishing a glittering soccer career many players chose a life in coaching or punditry.
Former Dynamo Kiev, AC Milan and Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko has taken a completely different route by switching the soccer pitch for the fairways and greens of the golf course.
Shevchenko, 36, only retired from soccer last year after playing in Euro 2012 for the Ukrainian national team.
But the star striker who scored 321 goals in 648 career games has now managed to get his handicap down to two and competed as an amateur in the European Challenge Tour on Thursday at the Kharkov Superior Cup in Ukraine.
However it was a day to forget on his golfing debut, as Shevchenko hit a 12-over par 84 to leave suggestions that maybe he should have gone into coaching or punditry after playing soccer professionally for almost 20 years.
Of course Shevchenko probably know he has no chance of becoming a top professional golfer but after many years as a soccer payer, he would most probably spend his afternoons and days off on the golf course. Those jokes about PL players spending all their time on the course away from the training ground are mostly fiction.
The highlight of “Sheva’s” round was a birdie on a 132-yard par 3 but plenty of bogies put him 20 shots off the lead heading into the weekend.
It will be a miracle if Shevchenko somehow makes the cut, however you have to applaud his determination to try and become a professional golfer after excelling at the highest level of soccer for such a long period of time.
But this got me thinking about which other professional athletes have switched sports in the past. Here’s a quick list I devised:
- Michael Jordan, Basketball to Baseball (then back to Basketball)
- Bruce Arena, US national Soccer team to US national Lacrosse team
- Jackie Robinson, Ran track and played Football before switching to Baseball
- Tony Gonzalez, played Basketball and Football at UC Berkley before joining the NFL
And I’m sure there are plenty of others I’m missing. But can athletes really switch between sports and become successful or will Shevchenko’s golf career be a flash in the pan?
- Looking back on 2013: Talking through Real Salt Lake’s path to MLS Cup 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Will Everton upset Arsenal? Can Man United bounce back vs. Newcastle? 0
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 4
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 7
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 6
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 4
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 9
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (22)
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three (11)