Sep 13, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
With their roster sitting on 29 players, and the roster freeze deadline later today, Sporting Kansas City made a move to lock up spot #30, signing Argentinian left-back Federico Bessone.
The 29-year-old has mostly plied his trade in England, playing for lower-division teams Charlton Athletic, Leeds United, Swindon Town, and Oldham Athletic.
He also played for Swansea City before their promotion and made one appearance for the Swans in the Premier League.
Bessone has been training with the squad the last two weeks, something which should help the defender slide easily into his role. “I’m very happy to be here” he said. “The city is great, the people are so friendly and my teammates have been tremendous with me.”
Bessone attended the La Masia Academy as a youth, and got his first-ever professional contract with Barcelona C in 2003, where he played alongside a very young Lionel Messi.
Sporting KC have a plethora of right-backs, but their left-sided defenders are thin in numbers. Bessone will for now provide as cover for Seth Sinovic, who has racked up the minutes at left back for KC, appearing in 26 of the 30 MLS matches so far this season (25 starts).
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 2
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs