Sep 13, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
With their roster sitting on 29 players, and the roster freeze deadline later today, Sporting Kansas City made a move to lock up spot #30, signing Argentinian left-back Federico Bessone.
The 29-year-old has mostly plied his trade in England, playing for lower-division teams Charlton Athletic, Leeds United, Swindon Town, and Oldham Athletic.
He also played for Swansea City before their promotion and made one appearance for the Swans in the Premier League.
Bessone has been training with the squad the last two weeks, something which should help the defender slide easily into his role. “I’m very happy to be here” he said. “The city is great, the people are so friendly and my teammates have been tremendous with me.”
Bessone attended the La Masia Academy as a youth, and got his first-ever professional contract with Barcelona C in 2003, where he played alongside a very young Lionel Messi.
Sporting KC have a plethora of right-backs, but their left-sided defenders are thin in numbers. Bessone will for now provide as cover for Seth Sinovic, who has racked up the minutes at left back for KC, appearing in 26 of the 30 MLS matches so far this season (25 starts).
- What will Jurgen Klinsmann’s USMNT roster look like for 2015 Gold Cup? 2
- April Fools! The top gags that actually fooled soccer fans on this day 5
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Player of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Coach of the Season 0
- PST’s Premier League award predictions: Here’s our Team of the Season 3
- Who were biggest winners, losers from USMNT’s March friendlies? 5