Sep 14, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
After a first half where Arsenal could have been out of sight, they were left to rue a whole host of missed chances as Sunderland equalized two minutes into the second half.
Following a half-cleared corner kick int he 47th minute, Adam Johnson picked up the ball and cut inside the Arsenal box. The Black Cats winger was then scythed down by Arsenal defender Laurent Koscielny and referee Martin Atkinson pointed to the spot.
Gardner slammed home the PK after only being on the pitch for a matter of moments after coming on as a half time sub. The score is locked at 1-1 in the North East.
Watch the second half play live on NBC Sports Live Extra out as Sunderland battle back against Arsenal.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit