Sep 14, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Six matches remain for D.C.United in league play and the once-proud club has two primary targets circled:
One isn’t actually in the league, it’s the U.S. Open Cup final coming up early next month. The problem is, Real Salt Lake hosts that contest, so that’s already an uphill climb. But, as Ben Olsen’s team understands that is the only way to salvage a thing from this season gone seriously askew, they will draw a circle around it and pour out the entire bag of tricks for the long trip into Utah.
What else for United? Well, avoiding some marks of ignominy is about it. And there is still some work ahead.
After drawing with the LA Galaxy on Saturday, Olsen’s team has three home matches remaining, the best opportunities to pick up wins. With a 3-19-6 record, United needs two wins to keep from drawing level on fewest wins over a season in league history.
Tampa Bay (in 2001, the year before it disbanded) and Chivas USA (in 2005, its expansion season) also won just four matches over the entire campaign.
Olsen’s team would actually have to win half its remaining matches just to match United’s poorest season, a 6-20-4 mark in 2010. (That’s the year Olsen took over in mid-season for Curt Onalfo.)
With a couple more goals Saturday, the team does have a good shot at avoiding the league mark for fewest goals. That’s 21, also set by D.C. United in 2010. This year’s United had 18 goals with those six matches remaining.
- Should Roberto Martinez be starting Gerard Deulofeu? 0
- Chelsea’s Samuel Eto’o set for move to Major League Soccer 1
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014