Sep 14, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Hull City are looking to replicate their first home match of the Premier League season as they welcome fellow newcomers Cardiff City to the KC Stadium on Saturday afternoon (10 a.m. ET; watch live online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
The Tigers won their first and only home match against Norwich City in the second round, despite Yannick Sagbo‘s sending off in the 27th minute. Last time out, Hull managed to keep Manchester City to a goalless draw until the halftime whistle, but Manuel Pellegrini replaced Edin Dzeko with Álvaro Negredo at the break, and it was the substitute that started the scoring, which ultimately ended in a 2-0 victory for the Citizens. That leaves the home side with three points, in the relegation places thanks to an inferior goal difference.
The visitors sit higher in the table, in 11th place with four points. Last time out may have brought a dull goalless draw against Everton, but it’s likely Cardiff are still buzzing from their impressive victory over Manchester City in the second round. It was City that took the lead early in the second half, but Aron Gunnarsson equalized less than ten minutes later before Frazier Campbell bagged a brace. Both players start for the Bluebirds this afternoon.
Hull City Starting XI: McGregor, Figueroa, Chester, Davies, Elmohamady, Huddlestone, Koren, Livermore, Brady, Aluko, Graham
Cardiff City Starting XI: Lewis; Taylor, Caulker, Turner, Whittingham, Campbell, Kim, Gunnarsson, Cowie, Theophile-Catharine
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 0
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12