Sep 14, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
Roberto Martinez is still looking for his first win as Everton manager, but that will be a difficult challenge with Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea visiting Goodison Park on Saturday evening (12:30 p.m. ET; watch live on NBC and online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Everton have picked up just three points from three matches, all draws. The Toffees haven’t scored since their opening day match against Norwich, a 2-2 draw. Martinez is hoping that his late summer signings might bring a lift to his new side, and has opted to start Gareth Barry in midfield. James McCarthy, however, will have to wait for his turn, as the former Wigan man is on the bench for this one. And, unfortunately for Everton, loanee Romelu Lukaku is ineligible to play against his parent club.
As for Chelsea, well, they’ve got very little to complain about. Samuel Eto’o, who formerly played under Mourinho, will make his Blues debut at Goodison today, but Willian, signed for £32m, doesn’t even make the bench. Although when taking a look at that bench, it’s rather difficult to imagine a stronger one.
Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Barry, Mirallas, Naismith, Barkley, Jelavic
Subs: Robles, Heitinga, Oviedo, Deulofeu, McCarthy, Gueye, Stones
Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Schurrle, Hazard, Mata, Eto’o
Subs: Essien, Lampard, Torres, Oscar, De Bruyne, Schwarzer, Cahill
- Home teams take leads in first legs of Europa League semifinals 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Two way tussle for top spot – Week 35 0
- Premier League Scenarios: Title Chase, Race for Europe and Relegation 2
- Report: Mix Diskerud targeted by New York City FC 3
- Manchester United have two transfer deals provisionally in place – Cavani, Shaw, Fabregas all on radar 0
- Chelsea approves Jose Mourinho’s desire to play ‘B Squad’ against Liverpool 8