Sep 14, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
Roberto Martinez is still looking for his first win as Everton manager, but that will be a difficult challenge with Jose Mourinho’s Chelsea visiting Goodison Park on Saturday evening (12:30 p.m. ET; watch live on NBC and online via NBC Sports Live Extra).
Everton have picked up just three points from three matches, all draws. The Toffees haven’t scored since their opening day match against Norwich, a 2-2 draw. Martinez is hoping that his late summer signings might bring a lift to his new side, and has opted to start Gareth Barry in midfield. James McCarthy, however, will have to wait for his turn, as the former Wigan man is on the bench for this one. And, unfortunately for Everton, loanee Romelu Lukaku is ineligible to play against his parent club.
As for Chelsea, well, they’ve got very little to complain about. Samuel Eto’o, who formerly played under Mourinho, will make his Blues debut at Goodison today, but Willian, signed for £32m, doesn’t even make the bench. Although when taking a look at that bench, it’s rather difficult to imagine a stronger one.
Everton: Howard, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Osman, Barry, Mirallas, Naismith, Barkley, Jelavic
Subs: Robles, Heitinga, Oviedo, Deulofeu, McCarthy, Gueye, Stones
Chelsea: Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Terry, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Schurrle, Hazard, Mata, Eto’o
Subs: Essien, Lampard, Torres, Oscar, De Bruyne, Schwarzer, Cahill
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014