Sep 14, 2013, 11:58 AM EST
Stoke City put in another great performance as they held Manchester City to a 0-0 draw at the Britannia Stadium.
The Potters have never lost at home to Man City in the Premier League and continued that good run of form going with a spirited display.
Both teams were limited to speculative efforts throughout and Stoke’s best chance came in the first half as Kenwyne Jones raced through but fired his shot straight at Joe Hart. At the other end, City once again failed to create much going forward and Manuel Pellegrini will be disappointed with more dropped points away from home.
Early in the game the Sky Blues dominated possession, with Samri Nasri having an early shot straight at Asmir Begovic as City started well against the Potters. Stoke came back into things and a curling cross missed everyone in the 12th minute.
There was much more of a midfield battle for much of the first half as Stoke proved what a difficult place the Britannia Stadium is to visit.
Midway through the first half Jones raced clear of City’s defense but the Stoke forward met an onrushing Hart who blocked his effort superbly. it turned out to be the best chance of the first half for both teams.
Stoke knocked numerous high crosses into the box as the Potters bombarded City’s defense with Jones a real problem for Pellegrini’s side.
In the 39th minute Charlie Adam hit a thunderous drive straight at Hart after a surging run from midfield as Stoke knocked on the door.
After the break the game continued to be a midfield battle, with both teams struggling to create clear cut chances. And despite numerous substitutions, neither side could find that extra bit of creativity to unlock two staunch defenses.
In the grand scheme of things a draw was a fair result. Back to the drawing board for Man City, while Stoke are unbeaten in three. Man City are fourth, while Stoke are seventh.
Stoke City: Cameron, Shawcross, Huth, Pieters; Walters, Nzonzi, Adam (Arnautovic 70), Wilson, Etherington (Ireland 70); Jones (Crouch 70) Subs not used: Sorensen, Whelan, Pennant, Palacios.
Manchester City: Hart, Zabaleta, Garcia, Nastasic, Kolarov, Milner, Rodwell, Toure, Nasri (Navas 73), Negredo, Jovetic (Aguero, 63). Subs not used: Pantilimon, Lescott, Fernandinho, Dzeko, Boyata
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 1
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 1
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)