Watch what Toronto FC midfielder Jonathan Osorio does to New York’s Kosoke Kimura. Ridiculous.

Sep 14, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT

Kosuke Kimura

I don’t know what Red Bulls defender Kosuke Kimura ever did to Toronto FC midfielder Jonathan Osorio, but it must have been something else.

Because Osorio – either a really bad guy, or an OK guy who had a ridiculous bad moment – did something incredibly reckless and dangerous as the teams met in New York tonight.

We typically talk about “reckless” and “dangerous” in terms of tackles, in the context of how these injurious actions could damage a knee or ankle. But what about something so wanton that it could cause serious head or eye injuries?

Watch the video below. It’s the 77th minute at Red Bull Arena. Kimura is chopped down and, as he lays defenseless on the grass, Osorio kicks the ball as hard as he can into the Red Bull defender’s head.

(MORE: Red Bulls do just enough to get past Toronto FC)

Yes, the action happens pretty quickly. But professional soccer players have seen the ball enough to know what’s what … so Osorio cannot claim ignorance here. He lined up the fallen man and took out a little frustration on him.

Referee Edvin Jurisevic needs a little talking to on this one as well. Osorio should have been thrown out the game; I would even wager a Don Garber bobblehead that he’ll pick up a retroactive suspension from the disciplinary committee for this one. But Jurisevic decided it wasn’t even worth a booking.

So, if you’re counting, that’s “ridiculous times two.” One, for Osorio’s foolish stunt, and two for Jurisevic’s irresponsible inaction.

Here’s the moment:

1. medic0nduty - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM

OUCH. At least the outcome was a little better than what I thought happened the first time I saw it, when I thought that Osorio kicked Kimura straight in the head. Still though, that is nasty.

2. soccerjohn - Sep 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM

So, I apologize for the over-long post–this issue just really gets to me–but here are several reasons why I think inept officiating keeps MLS from being more successful.

First, it turns off would-be fans. When I see officiating like that in a game, I turn the channel. I won’t support it by watching. Intense physicality may do a better job of attracting fans who never played and are clicking between soccer and hockey or football. But I don’t think it’s a good long-term strategy. MLS needs to attract fans like me, who played for decades and watch European soccer all the time.

Second, I’d guess it costs the MLS some talent and creates a self-perpetuating problem. Let’s say I was a player who was good enough to choose between MLS and a league outside of the Euro Big Four. The officiating would probably make it hard for me to choose MLS…unless I was a less-skilled brute who thought I’d fit right in or an older player who probably didn’t have much left in Europe anyway and wanted to max out opportunities in the US. Otherwise, I’d be afraid playing in MLS would erode the skilled aspects of my game and put me at heightened risk for a career-altering injury.

Third, I wonder whether MLS officiating might reduce the value of MLS as a feeder for the MNT. I recognize that MLS is increasing feeding the team with quality players. But I wonder whether that process might be further along if MLS refs were better. MLS officiating too often creates an environment that rewards ugly physicality over technique. The World Cup is dominated by officiating that swings exactly the other way. When one big call can swing a game, how much sense does it make to develop US MLS players in an environment that encourages them to play in ways that make big calls against them more likely on the grandest stage?

Finally, I want to add one more thing. Did I correctly hear the announcer say something about Kimura having come back quickly from a concussion? Osario’s wanton violence could prove to be a life-changer for him down the road. But it wasn’t a bookable offense in an MLS game. Stories of mindbogglingly egregious officiating occur far, far too frequently in MLS.

• braxtonrob - Sep 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

You are right, you’re absolutely right to apologize for that “over-long post”.

(The ref should have given Red, he missed it, simple, move on.)

3. midtec2005 - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Something tells me this action might get more than a 2 or 3 game ban…. Steve is right, that’s ridiculous. Roy Keane level classlessness.

4. kets13 - Sep 16, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I bet you get two completely different reactions if you show this in real time with just field audio vs the broadcast version with slow motion replay and opinionated announcers.

this is a bang-bang play with a really unfortunate outcome. To imply malice or intent or label him a “bad guy” is just more bad “journalism” from Davis.

PST Extra: Race for the PL title