Sep 15, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
Serie A side Fiorentina have suffered a harsh injury blow as German striker Mario Gomez has been lost thanks to a partial tear in the MCL of his right knee.
The club confirmed he would be sent for more tests, but the 28-year-old will surely miss at least a number of weeks. Recovery time for a torn MCL is often 4-6 weeks, but the final time off will depend on whether he needs microscopic surgery to repair the tear or not.
The German was injured in Sunday’s tie with Cagliari, who drew Fiorentina 1-1 at the Stadio Franchi. He was stretchered off in the 51st minute, clearly dejected, and was replaced by Oleksandr Yakovenko.
Fiorentina co-owner Andrea Della Valle said, “I’m worried about Gomez. It’s not terribly serious, but we’re talking about a few weeks out.”
This will also rule out Gomez from Germany’s round of European qualifiers in October against Ireland and Sweden. Germany are tops of Group C with 22 points, five ahead of Sweden in second and eight clear of Austria in third.
Gomez only recently joined the Viola, moving from Bayern Munich this summer for €13 million ($17.3 million). He’d enjoyed a fast start to his Serie A career, scoring 2 goals in his first 3 matches in the league.
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad