Sep 15, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Serie A side Fiorentina have suffered a harsh injury blow as German striker Mario Gomez has been lost thanks to a partial tear in the MCL of his right knee.
The club confirmed he would be sent for more tests, but the 28-year-old will surely miss at least a number of weeks. Recovery time for a torn MCL is often 4-6 weeks, but the final time off will depend on whether he needs microscopic surgery to repair the tear or not.
The German was injured in Sunday’s tie with Cagliari, who drew Fiorentina 1-1 at the Stadio Franchi. He was stretchered off in the 51st minute, clearly dejected, and was replaced by Oleksandr Yakovenko.
Fiorentina co-owner Andrea Della Valle said, “I’m worried about Gomez. It’s not terribly serious, but we’re talking about a few weeks out.”
This will also rule out Gomez from Germany’s round of European qualifiers in October against Ireland and Sweden. Germany are tops of Group C with 22 points, five ahead of Sweden in second and eight clear of Austria in third.
Gomez only recently joined the Viola, moving from Bayern Munich this summer for €13 million ($17.3 million). He’d enjoyed a fast start to his Serie A career, scoring 2 goals in his first 3 matches in the league.
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 15
- How well did Major League Soccer’s format work in 2013? Few qualms with this year’s results 8
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Here’s how it’s going to work 1
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States 14
- World Cup Draw: United States in Pot Three 11
- Meet the Premier League’s other U.S. international goalkeeper: Cody Cropper 5
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United v. Everton 1
- Debunking the myth of Real Salt Lake, Sporting Kansas City as bitter rivals 2
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (15)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)