Sep 15, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
Montreal’s Marco Di Vaio could become the first MLS Golden Boot winner to immediately retire. Family issues are tugging at the 37-year-old, and the stories broke this week that revealed how he would like to be back in Italy and closer to his loved ones.
At the moment, he’s still in the lead for Major League Soccer’s 18th Golden Boot. Di Vaio slipped in amongst the Columbus Crew tall trees, although his goal couldn’t keep the Impact from losing a game they shouldn’t have lost, 2-1 to visiting Columbus, and dropping position in the Eastern Conference race. Here’s his goal from Stade Saputo:
That was No. 18 for the season, and in a lot of MLS years, that would be sufficient to seal the deal on Golden Boot. In fact, in 10 MLS seasons that would be good enough to share the league lead, at least.
But it might not be in 2013 because Di Vaio cannot shake one man: Chicago’s Mike Magee. Magee hit No. 16, helping set the stage for midfielder Alex to come off the bench for the big game-winner. Chicago’s 3-2 win at Toyota Park just outside the city was massive in helping re-order the muddle of teams still in the Eastern Conference jostle.
Here’s Magee’s latest as he pursues Di Vaio for the league scoring leadership:
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season