Sep 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EST
FK Rostov goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa made one big save in each half to keep his club in the match at league-leading CSKA Moscow on Saturday. His efforts were not repaid on the other end, as CSKA won 1-0 to maintain its perch atop the Russian Premier League.
Nonetheless, Pletikosa was at the top of his game, only a 71st-minute tap-in from inside the six-yard by an unmarked Konstantin Bazelyuk good enough to beat the 34-year-old goalkeeper on the day.
A veteran of two World Cups and two additional qualifying campaigns, Pletikosa showed a wide range of ability on his saves. His first-half effort came at full extension to his left, reaching his top hand to guide a curling shot from Brazilian winger Vitinho over the crossbar:
In the second half, Pletikosa had to get up quickly after diving to stop a shot that was blocked and react to Ahmed Musa’s header from right in front of goal:
Both of those saves kept the match scoreless until Bazelyuk finished off a flowing team goal for CSKA, Pletikosa’s defense failing to track the substitute’s back-post run.
If there was a better goalkeeping performance anywhere in the world this weekend, we’d like to hear about it. Leave a comment below, and video links are welcome.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 20
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)