Sep 16, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
FK Rostov goalkeeper Stipe Pletikosa made one big save in each half to keep his club in the match at league-leading CSKA Moscow on Saturday. His efforts were not repaid on the other end, as CSKA won 1-0 to maintain its perch atop the Russian Premier League.
Nonetheless, Pletikosa was at the top of his game, only a 71st-minute tap-in from inside the six-yard by an unmarked Konstantin Bazelyuk good enough to beat the 34-year-old goalkeeper on the day.
A veteran of two World Cups and two additional qualifying campaigns, Pletikosa showed a wide range of ability on his saves. His first-half effort came at full extension to his left, reaching his top hand to guide a curling shot from Brazilian winger Vitinho over the crossbar:
In the second half, Pletikosa had to get up quickly after diving to stop a shot that was blocked and react to Ahmed Musa’s header from right in front of goal:
Both of those saves kept the match scoreless until Bazelyuk finished off a flowing team goal for CSKA, Pletikosa’s defense failing to track the substitute’s back-post run.
If there was a better goalkeeping performance anywhere in the world this weekend, we’d like to hear about it. Leave a comment below, and video links are welcome.
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England
- Thistle Manager Sent Off While Playing For His Team's Under-20s
- Is CONCACAF Champions League Format Working Against MLS?