Sep 17, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Kick-offs in soccer are fairly standard.
Normally, teams simply play the ball backwards looking to begin the match with a bout of possession.
Sometimes, possession is ceded in favor of lumping the ball towards the corner flag to try and pin the opposition back.
And occasionally, a goal-hungry striker will just have a go at it alone.
This past Saturday, however, German association club RasenBallsport Leipzig e. V. created a new approach when they lined up eight players to dash into the box against 3. Liga opponents Stuttgart II.
The risky move worked like a charm as the long ball was skimmed on to Mattias Morys, who crossed to the onrushing Daniel Frahn to finish from five yards out.
The total time for the entire play? Nine seconds.
Leipzig went on to win the match, 3-1, proving once again that Red Bull gives you wiiings.
Mar 12, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Champions League injury forced German midfielder off at halftime, will have Ozil out of lineup.
Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic
Mar 12, 2014, 6:09 AM EDT
Barcelona carry a two-goal lead into Wednesday’s visit from City, while PSG’s four-goal edge has Laurent Blanc set to rest his stars.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
A 95th minute goal from Alan Gordon gives San Jose momentum ahead of next week’s second leg.
Mar 11, 2014, 11:54 PM EDT
Last year’s MLS Cup qualifiers start the season 1-2 in our rankings.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:43 PM EDT
Gunners prospect could soon be locked into an international career with Germany.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:56 PM EDT
Champions League was Milan’s last battle. Now, two months of auditions for next year’s team begin, with Seedorf decide who will return for the Rossoneri’s restart.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Over the course of two legs, Arsenal was outshot 41-15 and had only 27 percent of the ball.
Mar 11, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Legacy didn’t matter, Costa is ready for your love, and Atlético improved but imperfect.
Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Another sickening blow for Holden, who suffers knee ligament damage after latest comeback game goes horribly wrong:
Mar 11, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
With the Gunners falling at the first UCL knockout hurdle once again, what did we learn this time?
Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.)
Mar 11, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
Defending champions Bayern down Gunners to reach quarterfinals of Champions League:
Mar 11, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
With seven goals in five Champions League games, Costa has led Atlético into the quarterfinals.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Three Vancouver Whitecaps, three Columbus Crew take their place in the first week’s Best XI.
Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Japanese youngster traveled with squad to Munich… then Arsenal found out he was ineligible:
Mar 11, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Nick Rimando snared the league’s honor, but the Dancing Bear claims PST’s first weekly award.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
Can the Gunners go on the road and beat Bayern 2-0 for a second-straight season in the UCL?
Mar 11, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
American investment company now owns 25 percent of United’s total shares on the NYSE:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:43 PM EDT
Newcastle boss full of remorse after unsavory incident lands him in hot water:
Mar 11, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT
Pardew reprimanded by the FA, is his ban long enough?
Mar 11, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
German youth international, eligible to play for the USMNT, set to extend stay with Arsenal:
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League