Landon Donovan ruled out for Galaxy CONCACAF Champions League match

Sep 17, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT

Landon Donovan AP

After coming off injured in their weekend draw with DC United, Galaxy forward Landon Donovan has been deemed unfit by Bruce Arena ahead of their match against Isidro Metapan Wednesday.

The sprained ankle has kept Donovan from training since, but Arenas said it wouldn’t be long before the USMNT star returns.

“I’m confident he’s going to be available very soon” Arena said. When a reporter followed that up by asking if he’d be available for Saturday’s match with the Seattle Sounders, Arena replied, “You can interpret that any way you want.”

Following Saturday’s game, Donovan took the blame for his injury. “It was my fault” said the 31-year-old. “I gave away a bad ball in midfield and then won it back, but Silva and I got tangled up, he fell on my ankle and it rolled. I couldn’t run anymore. I was trying to run and I couldn’t run. At that point, you’re doing yourself more damage and the team damage.”

Also ruled out for the match at the Stubhub Center is A.J. De LaGarza. He was substituted off after falling awkwardly in just the eighth minute Saturday.

Arena claimed that more tests are needed before they know when he’ll be back.“I don’t think they quite know [the severity] at this point,” Arena said Tuesday morning. “See in the next couple of days and he gets moving a little more. I don’t think we know [how quickly he can return] at this point.”

1. sketchcartooning - Sep 18, 2013 at 1:47 AM

You better get well so0n D..!! we need to you here soon to beat PANAMA so MEXICO is out for sure!!

2. talgrath - Sep 18, 2013 at 2:11 PM

On the one hand, an injured Donovan is good for my Sounders who play the Galaxy this weekend. On the other hand, an injured Donovan is bad for the USMNT, who play in just about three weeks. So hopefully it’s enough to keep him out of this weekend’s game, but not enough to keep him out any longer than that.

3. braxtonrob - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:17 PM

His name is Bruce Arena, not “Bruce Arenas”!

You’re banned from writing about soccer for 1 year. (Idiot)

• Kyle Bonn - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM

HAHA oh dear thats a horrible slip isnt it.

• Kyle Bonn - Sep 18, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I was 1-for-5 lol thats terrible. I should have just called him Gilbert

• braxtonrob - Sep 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM

You fixed (most of) it, and I can finally read it, and it’s actually pretty good. (You’re not an idiot.)

Week 8: Saturday PL recap