Sep 17, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
After coming off injured in their weekend draw with DC United, Galaxy forward Landon Donovan has been deemed unfit by Bruce Arena ahead of their match against Isidro Metapan Wednesday.
The sprained ankle has kept Donovan from training since, but Arenas said it wouldn’t be long before the USMNT star returns.
“I’m confident he’s going to be available very soon” Arena said. When a reporter followed that up by asking if he’d be available for Saturday’s match with the Seattle Sounders, Arena replied, “You can interpret that any way you want.”
Following Saturday’s game, Donovan took the blame for his injury. “It was my fault” said the 31-year-old. “I gave away a bad ball in midfield and then won it back, but Silva and I got tangled up, he fell on my ankle and it rolled. I couldn’t run anymore. I was trying to run and I couldn’t run. At that point, you’re doing yourself more damage and the team damage.”
Also ruled out for the match at the Stubhub Center is A.J. De LaGarza. He was substituted off after falling awkwardly in just the eighth minute Saturday.
Arena claimed that more tests are needed before they know when he’ll be back.“I don’t think they quite know [the severity] at this point,” Arena said Tuesday morning. “See in the next couple of days and he gets moving a little more. I don’t think we know [how quickly he can return] at this point.”
- Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road 0
- It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo 16
- Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up 1
- PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think? 22
- US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners 0
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 1