Today’s headscratcher: Hatem Ben Arfa says he can win the Ballon d’Or

Sep 17, 2013, 6:47 PM EST

Aston Villa v Newcastle United - Premier League Getty Images

“I still dream of the Ballon d’Or. I’m convinced it’s still possible.”

Who said that? Was it Franck Ribery, looking for his first after winning the UEFA Player of the Year award? Nope.

Was it possibly Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who if not for Ronaldo and Messi could be considered the best striker in the world? Sorry, wrong again.

The correct answer is………Newcastle winger Hatem Ben Arfa!

That’s right.  The French winger believes that he still has a shot to win the coveted award as the world’s top footballer.  He’s had a good start to the season, and has been a great boost for the Magpies.  However, he’s…well…probably not even in the same ballpark as that award. Or even the same downtown area.  Or maybe even the same city.  Or…well, you get the idea.

“I know some will think that I’m mad” said Ben Arfa to the Mirror. “But I still dream of the Ballon d’Or. I’m convinced it’s still possible. It’s not forbidden to dream. I still believe that one day I’ll be the best player in the world. But my biggest victory will not be that one, it’ll be of becoming a well-rounded man after overcoming so many obstacles.”

I guess we have to hand him that. If that’s what he believes, then more power to him.

He also condemned his past behavior off the pitch, saying he’s slowly maturing into more of a model athlete and professional.

“I’ve disappointed a lot of people over the years, I’ve annoyed many too. But those people were right, I was not very professional. I think I’ve gradually changed as I’ve grown up. I’ve understood some basic stuff with regards to the strength that a community brings. At 26, I still have plenty of time in front of me. I’m not about retirement just yet.”

If the guy has the drive, then good on him.  He has two goals and assist to his name this season in four matches of Premier League play, including the game-winner against Fulham and a hand in both goals of their 2-1 victory at Aston Villa this past weekend.

Not sure that’s exactly enough for the Ballon d’Or though.  Just a hunch.

Latest Posts
  1. Feature on Kevin Alston details Revolution defender’s battle with leukemia

Nov 28, 2014, 7:58 AM EST

New England Revolution v New York Red Bulls - Eastern Conference Final - Leg 1 Getty Images

Vice Sports writer Kevin Koczwara has the story of Alston’s fight with chronic myelogenous leukemia.

2. New England Revolution, 90 minutes from MLS Cup, must simply avoid second-leg disaster vs. Red Bulls

Nov 27, 2014, 11:15 PM EST

Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies Steve Clark, Lee Nguyen, Charlie Davies

It’s been a long time since the New England Revolution lost by mulitple goals, which the New York Red Bulls must achieve to reach MLS Cup 2014.

3. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

4. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

5. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

6. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

7. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

8. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

9. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

10. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

11. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

12. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

13. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

14. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

15. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

16. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday