Sep 18, 2013, 6:07 PM EDT
Young Danny Williams took a tumble in 2013, falling way down Jurgen Klinsmann’s depth chart at holding midfielder.
Williams, 24, left Germany’s Hoffenheim in the summer, signing a four-year deal with Reading in England’s second tier. He needed some time to find his feet, but seems to be rolling now.
Williams started his first league match over the weekend, going all 90 minutes in a 0-0 draw with Brighton Hove & Albion.
Williams was back at it Wednesday, setting up the late game-winner in a big 1-0 win over visiting Leeds. That one moves Reading up the 7th in the 24-team table, although there is a long, long way to go.
Reading has a home undefeated streak of 13 games in league play. If Williams can keep at it, he still has time to find a place on Klinsmann’s 23-man roster for Brazil next summer. Remember, Williams was a U.S. starter at this time last year, but lost his place during the spring and summer, some of that due to injury.
Jermaine Jones remains the incumbent at holding midfielder. Kyle Beckerman, with another credible performance in last week’s 2-0 spot-clinching win over Mexico, has moved ahead of the German-American.
And while Williams struggled to regain his spot, Geoff Cameron showed he could fill the gap at holding midfielder, so he’s probably ahead of Williams now.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 1
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss