Sep 18, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
On Tuesday night CONCACAF Champions League action was back on the slate.
Three MLS teams were in action as they tried to reach the quarterfinals set for next March, some have it harder than others and that’s still the case after the latest batch of results.
The San Jose Earthquakes are pushing hard to try and make it to the quarters, following their total domination of the Montreal Impact at Buck Shaw Stadium in a 3-0 win.
Elsewhere, Sporting Kansas City are sitting pretty at the top of CCL Group 2, with seven points from their three games so far following their slightly disappointing 1-1 tie with Nicaraguan outfit Real Esteli at Sporting Park on Tuesday.
One other MLS team is in midweek CCL action, as the LA Galaxy face Isidro Metrapan on Wednesday in just their second CCL outing. Bruce Arena’s men have three games to play, with two tricky away trips on the way. Can LA make it to the quarters?
In California two Major League Soccer sides squared off with big CCL implications on the line and it was the home side who started off brighter, with striker Chris Wondolowski opening the scoring and Marvin Chavez and Shea Salinas adding two more in the second half.
This result all keeps San Jose’s slim chances of making the quarters alive, but they have to beat current table toppers Heredia on October 23 to stand any chance of qualifying. However Montreal must beat Heredia on September 24 in order for San Jose to qualify.
It’s complicated, but with last night’s result in Cali, both MLS teams are struggling to qualify.
But the situation for Peter Vermes’ SKC side is looking a lot brighter, as Sporting only need a point in their final group game at home to Olimpia to seal their spot in the knockout stages.
On Tuesday Esteli grabbed a shock lead against the run of play as Rudel Calero headed home in the 54th minute. However Sporting’s Jacob Peterson scored in the second half to seal a vital point that keeps SKC’s fate in their own hands.
To watch the highlights from this CCL matchup, turn your attention to the video below. Enjoy.
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 1
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire