Sep 18, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
We tried something new at halftime today, giving you a quick, raw rundown of some key indicators for each of the day’s eight Champions League matches. We all know statistics can be mislead when used incorrectly, so given they were only racked up over 45 minutes of play, there was nothing to get too analytical about. Still, it’s always interesting to see which teams are piling up big edges in shots, possession, and other broad-stroke figures.
To redress the situation, here’s how all those numbers stood at full time:
|G||Atlético Madrid-Zenit St. Petersburg||3-1||18-10||6-3||46-54|
All stats are from Opta.
Six of the teams that won the possession battle also won their game. The team with the most shots won four times. In the six games where somebody had an edge in shots on goal, the team with the most shots won four.
Compared the the numbers below, you see the biggest changes happened in the score. Some exceptions: Napoli’s possession number skyrocketed in the second half, to be expected playing up a man; both shots and shots on goal exploded in the second half at the Nou Camp, even more than you’d normally see in a second half; Milan turned a slight possession deficit into a positive figure as they pushed for their winning goal.
Here’s how the numbers looked after 45 minutes of play.
|G||Atlético Madrid-Zenit St. Petersburg||1-0||9-2||3-0||50-50|
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Team of the Week – Week 1 0
- ProSoccerTalk’s MLS Player of the Week: Will Bruin 0
- Alan Pardew handed hefty ban, fined for headbutt 1
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers