Sep 18, 2013, 3:37 PM EDT
Tuesday’s eight UEFA Champions League goals produced 30 goals. Through Wednesday’s first halves, the equivalent of four games played, the day’s eight combatants have combined for three goals. And one came via penalty kick.
That was courtesy of Lionel Messi, whose turn in the middle of Ajax’s penalty area prompted Niklas Moisander to pull him down. Moments later, Kenneth Vermeer was pulling the ball out of his own net, Barcelona having claimed a 1-0 lead at the Nou Camp.
The day’s second goal came in Naples, where a cross from the left from Juan Camilo Zuniga found the head of Gonzalo Higuaín. The Argentine’s header found the lower-right corner to put Napoli up 1-0 on Borussia Dortmund.
Atlético became the third to breakthrough, undoing Luciano Spalletti’s move to a three-man defense by converting a 40th minute corner. Miranda’s near post header from Koke’s service gave Diego Simeone’s team the lead.
Here’s how all games look, by the numbers, at halftime.
|G||Atlético Madrid-Zenit St. Petersburg||1-0||9-2||3-0||50-50|
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season
- What Moyes Really Meant by Asking Fans for More Time at Man United
- Manchester United Set to Sign Record $1 Billion Sponsorship Deal with Nike
- Will Johnson: We Weren't All Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro