Sep 19, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Across Russia, at the eight Russian Premier League matches held on Sept. 14 through 16, 80 fans were arrested for various offenses. The Russian Interior Ministry released a statement saying the arrests were made to ensure public safety and law and order.
“For various offenses during football matches, police arrested and brought to administrative responsibility 80 people, including 16 people for disorderly conduct and 24 people for the use of fireworks,” the statement released on Tuesday said.
Nearly half of the arrests took place at the match between FC Volga and Spartak Moscow, in a town called Nizhny Novgorod, 260 miles outside the capital. Spartak won the game, 1-0, and a large number of its supporters made the trip to watch from 17,856-capacity Lokomotiv Central Stadium.
Here is a video of the stands during the match, in which flares are easily visible and fireworks easily audible:
A good number of the supporters seem to be Spartak fans, spurred on by former Real Salt Lake striker Yura Movsisyan’s 32nd-minute goal to win the game. The Fratria, Spartak’s largest supporters’ group whose name translates as “brotherhood” from Latin, released this video from the stand in which the action occurred:
The arrests come a week before the Main Moscow derby between Spartak and CSKA, Sunday at Spartak’s temporary Lokomotiv Stadium home. Adding to the gravity of the game is the teams’ closeness in the standings, as CSKA sits in first place, but Spartak is three points behind, tied with Zenit St. Petersburg for second.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1