Sep 19, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
Across Russia, at the eight Russian Premier League matches held on Sept. 14 through 16, 80 fans were arrested for various offenses. The Russian Interior Ministry released a statement saying the arrests were made to ensure public safety and law and order.
“For various offenses during football matches, police arrested and brought to administrative responsibility 80 people, including 16 people for disorderly conduct and 24 people for the use of fireworks,” the statement released on Tuesday said.
Nearly half of the arrests took place at the match between FC Volga and Spartak Moscow, in a town called Nizhny Novgorod, 260 miles outside the capital. Spartak won the game, 1-0, and a large number of its supporters made the trip to watch from 17,856-capacity Lokomotiv Central Stadium.
Here is a video of the stands during the match, in which flares are easily visible and fireworks easily audible:
A good number of the supporters seem to be Spartak fans, spurred on by former Real Salt Lake striker Yura Movsisyan’s 32nd-minute goal to win the game. The Fratria, Spartak’s largest supporters’ group whose name translates as “brotherhood” from Latin, released this video from the stand in which the action occurred:
The arrests come a week before the Main Moscow derby between Spartak and CSKA, Sunday at Spartak’s temporary Lokomotiv Stadium home. Adding to the gravity of the game is the teams’ closeness in the standings, as CSKA sits in first place, but Spartak is three points behind, tied with Zenit St. Petersburg for second.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 0
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park