Sep 19, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
It seems that with each passing day we inch closer and closer to a winter World Cup in 2022.
And the tournament is still nine years away. So strap in tight, this could be a long one.
Today European football federations agreed it would be “impossible” to stage the 2022 World Cup in Qatar during the summer and will set up a task force to find an alternative.
After a meeting with 54 European football federations in Dubrovnik, Croatia, FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce told Sky television: “Obviously there are certain reservations regarding the World Cup in Qatar but everyone agrees that it would be impossible to play in the severe heat of Qatar in the summer.”
According the Boyce, “[All 54 countries] agree that to play the World Cup, to take thousands of fans to the biggest sporting event in the middle of summer would be impossible.”
During FIFA’s next executive committee meeting, scheduled for October 3rd, Boyce claims the 54 nations, along with representatives from Qatar, will hash out a solution.
Despite the backlash Qatar remains open to staging the tournament in the summer, promising air-conditioned stadiums using newly environmentally-friendly technology that would cool stadiums to 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
For those keeping score at home, here’s a list of where the majority of players fall when it comes the 2022 World Cup:
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter: in favor of a winter World Cup and is organization had never specially stated that the World Cup had to be held in summer
- UEFA president Michel Platini: in favor of holding the tournament in January and February of 2022
- U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati: opposes voting on October 3rd, noting that it’s too early to make a sensible decision
- Australia’s soccer chief Frank Lowy: claims non-winning 2022 bidders should be compensated if the move goes ahead to switch to a winter World Cup
- FIFA medical committee chairman Michel D’Hooghe: says that for the health of the players and the fans, the tournament must be played in the winter
- Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore: wants the tournament to be played in the summer, as scheduled, to prevent conflict with England’s domestic fixtures
Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.
Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?
Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT
Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT
After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?
Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.
Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT
Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.
Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.
Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT
“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.
Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.
Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT
We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.
Oct 22, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Ronaldo, Benzema and co. put on a clinic at Anfield, as Liverpool are taught a lesson.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:54 PM EDT
The CAF claimed Platini said something he didn’t, and it hurt his feelings.
Oct 22, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Here’s what it’s like at Anfield, as Liverpool host Real Madrid in the UEFA Champions League.
Oct 22, 2014, 1:58 PM EDT
With yesterday’s goal frenzy, will today give us the same excitement?
Oct 22, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
This is the second time Robinho is under investigation for such an alleged incident.
Oct 22, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
NYCFC’s first Designated Player will be returning to the United States to fulfill commercial and marketing obligations, and it’s unclear whether he will make his way back to Australia to finish out his loan.
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 1
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll 0