Sep 19, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
After his emotional reaction directed at Portuguese fourth official Venâncio Tomé on Wednesday, Borussia Dortmund manager Jürgen Klopp apologized to the media for his behavior. Dortmund lost to Napoli, 2-1, to kick off both teams’ Champions League campaigns.
“I made myself look like a monkey out there, and that’s not on,” he told German television station ZDF (via Sky Sports). “I overstepped the mark and it was really pathetic of me. I’ve already apologized to the team, the referee and the fourth official. I got it wrong. I have to accept the blame for this red card; it was just stupid of me.”
His outburst came shortly after Gonzalo Higuaín put Napoli up 1-0, and it left Dortmund without its manager for about three-quarters of the game. Goalkeeper Roman Weidenfeller was also sent off, meaning neither he nor Klopp will be involved in Dortmund’s match against Marseille on Oct. 1.
- Watch Live: Seattle Sounders vs. L.A. Galaxy (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real fight back to seal El Clasico victory 0
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0