Sep 19, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Erick Thohir, who became co-owner of D.C. United in 2012, is close to acquiring 70 percent of Inter Milan, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The Indonesian businessman met again with current Inter owner Massimo Moratti on Thursday.
The lengthy negotiations seem to be nearing their end, as Gazzetta reported that an agreement is in place and just needs to be finalized. Moratti and Thohir previously met on May 25 and July 25, with Thohir expected to make a trip to Europe only to finalize the deal. With their meeting in Paris on Thursday, which was described as “lively,” the two men’s respective law firms are thought to be drafting a contract.
Moratti said his family would still be involved in running the club, as he will retain 30 percent of the organization, even though he does not expect to be club president himself. However, he was reluctant to give much away regarding the state of negotiations, saying that the meeting in Paris was just an opportunity to get to know each other better.
“It was an opportunity to get to know each other a bit better, and also to meet the people that could possibly come into an agreement with Thohir,” Moratti told reporters (via Inter Milan’s official site). “It was more an opportunity to get to know them than to make a decision. And there are no big problems to resolve either.”
Moratti went on to say that the transaction could be finished within the next “month or so, if everything runs smoothly during that month,” although either party could pull out of the deal.
Thohir has spoken of building a new stadium for Inter, as well as sending young players on loan to D.C. United, according to Sky Italy. As part of his effort to globally brand D.C., he pushed the club to sign Indonesian midfielder Syamsir Alam, who has yet to play a minute in Major League Soccer.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3