Sep 19, 2013, 7:21 PM EST
Jason Kreis flew to Manchester, England, to meet with Manchester City and New York City FC officials this month to discuss becoming the expansion club’s first head coach, according to SI.com. Kreis is in the final year of his contract with Real Salt Lake.
Brian Straus reported that New York City FC is pursuing Kreis heavily, although RSL won’t be quick to let the coach that brought it up from the bottom of MLS go easily.
“We are aware of inquiries made as to the future availability of head coach Jason Kreis,” an RSL spokesman told SI.com. “He is obviously an attractive candidate. Our ongoing conversations with him regarding his long-term future continue to be positive and productive.”
The new club, announced this summer as Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise, has already named Claudio Reyna as director of football operations and former Rutgers University athletic director Tim Pernetti as chief business officer. NYCFC, jointly owned by Manchester City and Major League Baseball’s New York Yankees, has yet to name a home stadium for its first season in 2015.
Real Salt Lake is a club with some serious question marks surrounding its future, as Kreis is in the final year of his deal, and general manager Garth Lagerwey has been linked with the open general manager job at Toronto FC. Kreis and Lagerwey have been the architects of RSL’s rise from obscurity on the Wasatch Front to 2009 MLS Cup champion and 2011 CONCACAF Champions League finalist.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014