Sep 20, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann lives just south of the StubHub Center and offices there, so attendance at a Galaxy match is hardly out of the ordinary.
Still, it’s worth noting that the United States national team manager is scheduled to attend Saturday’s Major League Soccer biggie between the Galaxy and Seattle Sounders. The teams meet at 10:30 p.m. ET Saturday, live on NBCSN.
The Sounders are atop the Western Conference standings and snug in the catbird seat of the Supporters Shield chase, too. The Galaxy remain in Supporters Shield conversations … but you have to squint a bit to see it. Any hopes of getting there surely rest on gaining three points Saturday (which would also mean eliminating Seattle’s chances of collecting weekend points).
Plus, the two-time defending champions are fourth in the MLS standings, and every club wants to finish top three in the conference, minimum; the fourth- and fifth-place finishers must survive an extra playoff round and then deal with the extra wear and tear of a quick turn before the conference semifinals.
So, it’s a big contest.
From Klinsmann’s standpoint, he’ll see four players who have the inside track on spots for his 23-man roster in Brazil next year: Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson of the Sounders, as well as Landon Donovan and Omar Gonzalez from the Galaxy. Donovan, Dempsey and Gonzalez are locks, barring injuries, and Johnson isn’t far from being one. (Especially considering his game-winner against Mexico two weeks ago.)
Seattle’s Brad Evans is the pool of players under consideration, too.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3