Sep 20, 2013, 8:06 PM EDT
Jurgen Klinsmann lives just south of the StubHub Center and offices there, so attendance at a Galaxy match is hardly out of the ordinary.
Still, it’s worth noting that the United States national team manager is scheduled to attend Saturday’s Major League Soccer biggie between the Galaxy and Seattle Sounders. The teams meet at 10:30 p.m. ET Saturday, live on NBCSN.
The Sounders are atop the Western Conference standings and snug in the catbird seat of the Supporters Shield chase, too. The Galaxy remain in Supporters Shield conversations … but you have to squint a bit to see it. Any hopes of getting there surely rest on gaining three points Saturday (which would also mean eliminating Seattle’s chances of collecting weekend points).
Plus, the two-time defending champions are fourth in the MLS standings, and every club wants to finish top three in the conference, minimum; the fourth- and fifth-place finishers must survive an extra playoff round and then deal with the extra wear and tear of a quick turn before the conference semifinals.
So, it’s a big contest.
From Klinsmann’s standpoint, he’ll see four players who have the inside track on spots for his 23-man roster in Brazil next year: Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson of the Sounders, as well as Landon Donovan and Omar Gonzalez from the Galaxy. Donovan, Dempsey and Gonzalez are locks, barring injuries, and Johnson isn’t far from being one. (Especially considering his game-winner against Mexico two weeks ago.)
Seattle’s Brad Evans is the pool of players under consideration, too.
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 1
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7