Sep 20, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
By this time in his career, there simply is not a game that Bruce Arena has not played when it comes to information and disinformation.
That’s important to remember as we wonder whether one of his feature players (Landon Donovan) will participate in Major League Soccer’s feature match of Round 30.
The Seattle Sounders – let’s check that and make it “Western Conference-leading Seattle Sounders” – visit the StubHub Center in sunny Southern California. In terms of playoff positioning in the West, and in terms of saying something about a wide, wide open chase for Supporters Shield, this one means a lot.
Besides, Saturday’s contest just has so much bling! So much shiny star-ness about it, that is. And it will have even more if Donovan can join Robbie Keane (one of the league’s leading MVP candidates), Omar Gonzalez, Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey on the grass in Carson, Calif. Those are five of the top 10 recognized names in MLS.
Donovan was last seen publicly on the bench at RFK Stadium last weekend, a big and telling bag of ice across his left ankle. He had been removed at halftime of the Galaxy’s 2-2 draw with United, and the L.A. offense suffered some in his absence.
When a group of reporters from Seattle asked about Donovan’s status, here was Arena’s response: “We’re planning on him playing. That’s our update.”
So now you know. Or do you?
Last year about this time, Arena was similarly vague and guarded about Donovan’s status, which was believed to be day-to-day, something short-term. The LA Galaxy all-time leading scorer missed the next few weeks.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear