Sep 20, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
By this time in his career, there simply is not a game that Bruce Arena has not played when it comes to information and disinformation.
That’s important to remember as we wonder whether one of his feature players (Landon Donovan) will participate in Major League Soccer’s feature match of Round 30.
The Seattle Sounders – let’s check that and make it “Western Conference-leading Seattle Sounders” – visit the StubHub Center in sunny Southern California. In terms of playoff positioning in the West, and in terms of saying something about a wide, wide open chase for Supporters Shield, this one means a lot.
Besides, Saturday’s contest just has so much bling! So much shiny star-ness about it, that is. And it will have even more if Donovan can join Robbie Keane (one of the league’s leading MVP candidates), Omar Gonzalez, Eddie Johnson and Clint Dempsey on the grass in Carson, Calif. Those are five of the top 10 recognized names in MLS.
Donovan was last seen publicly on the bench at RFK Stadium last weekend, a big and telling bag of ice across his left ankle. He had been removed at halftime of the Galaxy’s 2-2 draw with United, and the L.A. offense suffered some in his absence.
When a group of reporters from Seattle asked about Donovan’s status, here was Arena’s response: “We’re planning on him playing. That’s our update.”
So now you know. Or do you?
Last year about this time, Arena was similarly vague and guarded about Donovan’s status, which was believed to be day-to-day, something short-term. The LA Galaxy all-time leading scorer missed the next few weeks.
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 3
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1