Sep 21, 2013, 8:38 AM EDT
It looked as though the match against Norwich City was about to turn into another disaster for Aston Villa. The visitors got off to a bright start, with John Ruddy forced into a save on a shot from Andreas Weimann within the first minute, and the Austrian hitting the post two minutes later. It looked as though the fortunes had been reversed, however, when the referee whistled for a handball from Ciaran Clark. But Brad Guzan made a diving save to rescue the resulting penalty shot from Robert Snodgrass, and both sides continued to press for the opening goal.
But then Villa heartache struck once again. For the fourth time in five league matches, a claret and blue player was forced to leave the match due to injury, before the halftime whistle. This was perhaps the worst of all, however: it was Christian Benteke who had to hobble off the pitch — and when he tried to come back on, he promptly fell down.
So with Benteke headed to the physio room, Paul Lambert introduced his newest signing, forward Libor Kozak. The Czech was on the field just two minutes before he broke the deadlock and gave Villa the lead. A ball from Weimann cut through the Canaries, but Kozak hit it straight at Ruddy. The goalkeeper spilled it out toward Gabby Agbonlahor, who promptly knocked it back to Kozak, still lurking in front of goal. The forward promptly knocked it in to the bottom right corner for his debut Villa goal.
- Done Deal: Daley Blind is officially a member of Manchester United 0
- Stoke want to keep USA’s Geoff Cameron, Southampton in the hunt 0
- Tottenham Hotspur offer $26 million plus Andros Townsend for Jay Rodriguez 1
- Julian Green completes loan move to Hamburg 0
- Premier League Playback – Deadline Day madness, Chelsea’s ‘killers,’ Liverpool’s fluid-three 2
- LIVE Transfer Ticker – Deadline Day updates 1