Sep 21, 2013, 8:03 AM EST
The match started off brightly for Aston Villa at Carrow Road. Paul Lambert elected to rely heavily on his attackers once again, and the visitors quickly put the Norwich City defense under pressure. Before a minute had passed, Andreas Weimann had his first chance, but Canaries goalkeeper John Ruddy was able to stop the striker’s sharp shot. Within minutes, Weimann was troubling Norwich again, but this time, his shot hit the post. Christian Benteke was prepared with a followup, but the Belgian was flagged offside.
The tables turned quickly, however, when Norwich were handed a penalty in the sixth minute — literally handed, as Ciaran Clark put out his arm to stop the ball. The Villa defender was probably wishing he’d never returned from injury as Robert Snodgrass stepped up to the spot. Snodgrass sent his shot low and to the right, but a diving Brad Guzan managed to shove the ball out of danger, as the rest of the Villa defense stepped up to contain the damage.
With Guzan regularly bailing his side out time and again, and proving himself adept at saving penalties, it’s hard to believe he won’t be in the running to start between the sticks for the USMNT at the World Cup. Tim Howard is likely looking over his shoulder — will he provide similar heroics against West Ham later on Saturday?
- Prindi’s Premier League Picks: Sunderland and Everton to upset odds 0
- Kyle Martino chats Andre Villas-Boas drama and Premier League parity 0
- Mike Magee Wins 2013 MLS Most Valuable Player Award 3
- USA fear toughest ever World Cup draw but relish chance to make history 2
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: Everything you need to know 2
- Premier League Playback: Moyes needs more, Suarez is Superman, Altidore (finally) off the mark 1
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 1
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (20)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (16)