Clint Dempsey will miss tonight’s LA Galaxy-Sounders biggie

Sep 21, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT

Seattle Sounders Introduce Clint Dempsey Getty Images

Los Angeles and Seattle will know more about their playoff positioning later tonight, upon the conclusion of their huge Western Conference clash at the StubHub Center.

What they won’t know, however, is how a contest between these two Western frontrunners will turn out once both are at full strength.

We still do not know whether Landon Donovan will take part as Sigi Schmid’s team, doing so well lately and coming off last week’s impressive win over Real Salt Lake, visits the two-time defending MLS Cup winner.

We do know, however, that U.S. international Clint Dempsey will miss the match. Dempsey did not travel with the club, having apparently collected a hamstring injury during training this week.

MLS clubs are not required to disclose injuries.

Not that “Deuce” can help it, but this will only add to some mounting pressure, as the league’s highest paid man continues to look for his first goal or assist since joining Seattle in early August.

As long as Seattle is winning, that debate will continue to be back-burner stuff. But as soon as a couple results don’t go the Sounders way …

Tonight’s match is at 10:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.

1. rphillish - Sep 21, 2013 at 7:16 PM

The two biggest American stars in MLS missing out on one of the seasons most promising match-ups. Very disappointing. I guess we still get Johnson V. Gonzales as a consolation prize.

• braxtonrob - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Well put. And, the consolation prize paid off (for me), I enjoyed the game a lot.

2. bizzmeister - Sep 21, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Epic FAIL! Glad I didn’t go to the Stubhub center to see this game.

3. mkbryant3 - Sep 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM

It’s been a great game. Now in the 85′. It’s lived up to its billing. I can only imagine what it would be like with Donovan and Dempsey. Hurtago owning Keane. Seattle winning an amazing amount of 50/50 balls late.

How is Martins a DP? Dude is not worth it. Same with Rosales. Bet they are gone after this year.

• braxtonrob - Sep 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM

“Hurtado owning Keane”, Yeah! What was that about? Keane (who I’m a big fan of) seemed frustrated VERY early and all the way to the end really.

I agree with you about Obafemi Martins; he’s about ½ as good as he thinks himself.
      I’m not really a big Rosales fan either.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?